Tuesday, November 30, 2021

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Beer: 2021 Edition

It's that time of the year again.  Time for dark beers, holiday movies, and hoping all these unvaccinated jackasses don't spread the omicron variant too broadly.  As I've said many times, winter is my favorite beer season because I love dark and malty beers.  Like last several years, I will once again be engaging in a 24-day weight-gaining enterprise I call It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Beer -- a daily look at a different beers throughout December.

This year, I managed to buy three beer advent calendars.  Long ago, I ordered one from the beer shop where I usually get mine each year (Bottles & Cans), and I fully intended to use that for my It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Beer entries this year.  Then after I ordered and paid for that, a friend told me about another local beer shop called Beer on the Wall that also does a beer advent calendar, but with almost all dark, holiday beers.  Since the Bottles & Cans advent calendar seems to have been getting more and more hoppy and sour over the years and having fewer traditional winter beers, I went ahead and ordered the Beer on the Wall calendar.  I also bought the Costco German beer advent calendar, but those are just a bunch of great German beers that aren't generally otherwise available in the U.S. and not particularly winter-related, so I just opened that mamma jamma up and put the beers in my overflow pile next to my fully stocked beer fridge.  I have a problem.
Like the Bottles & Cans advent calendar, the Beer on the Wall calendar has a festive punch-hole box, building suspense throughout the month.  What's next?  I don't fucking know because it's all covered up!

Needless to say, I'm excited to have 24 days of winter beers.  Sure, there are bound to be a couple hoppy "winter" beers in there, but as long as most of them are dark, I'll be happy.  To quote myself a couple days ago, "Just give me a heavy malty beer with some fucking nutmeg already."

Like in years past, I'll report back to you via this here blog with a non-technical description of each beer and the following information:
-Name
-Brewery
-Location
-ABV (if available)
-IBU (if available)
-"Good for drinking if" comment
-Rating (out of five stars, by quarter star increments)

As in years past, I may not get a chance to post every day, so I may have a few "catch up" posts, where multiple beers are reviewed.  Cheers!

No comments: