Monday, January 10, 2022

CoronaVinyl Day 366 (F): One Bad Habit by Michael Franks

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Today's CoronaVinyl category is "F," and among my most recent acquisitions from my neighbor were two Michael Franks albums.  Admittedly, before today, I had no idea who Michael Franks was or what kind of music he plays or played.  Today I listened to his sixth studio album, 1980's One Bad Habit.

Based on the album cover, you might be wondering what his one bad habit might be.  Baseball?  V-neck sweaters?  Coke?  Women?  Dave Foley lookalike contests?  Turns out, as the title track reveals, it's YOU.

Franks was a singer-songwriter who was considered one of the leaders of the "quiet storm" genre, which is apparently soft rock and smooth R&B with a jazz focus.  It's basically the kind of music that could only be popular in the late '70s and early '80s, and it's certainly not the kind of music I would normally gravitate towards.  It's the kind of music I imagine Ron Burgundy putting on when he's trying to make it with some chick.

The album went to #83 on the Billboard album chart.  Franks has continued to make music over the last four decades, most recently releasing an album in 2018.

Favorite Song on Side 1:  "All Dressed Up With Nowhere To Go"
I've never gotten dressed up unless I had somewhere to go, so I can't relate, but this is a little peppier than the other songs on Side 1.

Favorite Song on Side 2:  "He Tells Himself He's Happy"
I've never told myself I'm happy unless I've been happy, so I can't relate, but this is a little peppier than the other songs on Side 2.

No comments: