Monday, January 31, 2022

CoronaVinyl Day 378 (V): Billy & The Beaters by Billy Vera & The Beaters

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Today's CoronaVinyl category is "V," and my last album at the moment by a "V" artists is Billy Vera & The Beaters' 1981 album Billy & The Beaters.

Back in February 2021, I listened to Billy Vera's Retro Nuevo album and told you all about him and the song "At This Moment," which wasn't on Retro Nuevo, but was on By Request, the "best of" album that I told you about in April 2021.  So yes, I own three Billy Vera records.

As I mentioned last April, By Request was released on the heels of the success of "At This Moment" being featured in Family Ties, and it contained songs that were all recorded in 1981, most of which are from the Billy & The Beaters album that I am featuring today.

It's live album recorded in January 1981 at the Roxy in LA, and I won't go into the band's backstory, which, again, can be found in the post from last April.

Billy & The Beaters isn't on Spotify, so I'm just going to post the "best of" compilation that I posted last April, which has seven of the eight songs on Billy & The Beaters.  For your own edification, here is the track listing on Billy & The Beaters:

Side 1
1.  "Strollin' With Bones"
2.  "Corner of the Night"
3.  "I Can Take Care of Myself"
4.  "At This Moment"
5.  "Millie, Make Some Chili"

Side 2
1.  "Sometime Will School You, Someone Will Cool You"
2.  "Strange Things Happen"
3.  "Here Comes the Dawn Again"

The album went to #118 on the Billboard album chart.  "I Can Take Care of Myself" cracked the Top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100, reaching #39.  "At This Moment" only got to #79 in 1981, but of course went to #1 six years later.

Favorite Song on Side 1:  "At This Moment"
Based on my previous two posts about Vera albums, it should come as no surprise I'm picking this one. 

Favorite Song on Side 2:  "Here Comes the Dawn Again"
The album ends with a nearly 12-minute blue-eyed soul ballad that turns into a soulful jam.

No comments: