Wednesday, April 27, 2022

CoronaVinyl Day 411 (M): Lee Michaels by Lee Michaels

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

I meant to post this yesterday, but things got away from me.  Today's CoronaVinyl category is "M," and for the past two days, I've been listening to Lee Michaels' eponymous third studio album from 1969.

Michaels is best known for his 1971 #6 hit "Do You Know What I Mean."  An organist, Michaels took a rather stripped-down approach to his music, often just recording with himself and a drummer.  That was the case for this album, which he recorded with drummer Barry "Frosty" Smith.  Even more impressive is that the duo recorded the album live in the studio in less than seven hours one June day in 1969.

It's a good combination of psychedelic rock, blues, and blues rock.  The first side is a medley of five songs, and Smith has a crazy drum solo at one point. In parts in reminded me of Traffic and sometimes of Faces/Small Faces.  The album reached #53 on the Billboard album chart.

Michaels continued to make music until the mid '70s, when he retired from music.

Favorite Song on Side 1:  the whole side
As I mentioned above, the first side is a five-song medley, and there isn't a clear start or end to a lot of the songs, so I couldn't really choose one of the five songs.

Favorite Song on Side 2:  "Heighty Hi"
The last track on the album is a fun, soul-inspired song with Michaels on the piano and a singalong chorus.  It reminds me of late '60s Traffic or Joe Cocker.

No comments: