Thursday, April 28, 2022

CoronaVinyl Day 412 (P): Person Pitch by Panda Bear

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

I have no more albums by "N" or "O" artists, so today's CoronaVinyl category is "P."  I went with Panda Bear's third studio album, 2007's Person Pitch.

This was one of the monthly records I received when I was part of the Vinyl Me, Please record club a few years ago.  It is split into two LPs, one with white vinyl and the other with baby blue vinyl.

Panda Bear is the stage name for Noah Lennox, who was a member of experimental pop group Animal Collective.  He also made his own music.  Person Pitch is super weird.  It's a lot of loops and samples of random noises, with Benedictine monk-style chanting and mostly underwater vocals.  This is the kind of music I imagine would be perfect for a bad peyote trip.

It's certainly not my bag, but apparently those in the indie rock intelligensia think this album is the bees' knees.  Among other accolades, Pitchfork ranked it the #1 album of 2007 and the #9 album of the 2000s.

I am not choosing a favorite song from each side because I can't reasonably discern the difference between any of the songs, and I have neither the time nor the desire to do so.

No comments: