Monday, August 06, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 61

513. Jagermeister Let It Pour (last listen: never) - I got this compilation at some point in Bloomington, and I've never listened to it. It's an odd mix of funk, soul, and death metal. And of course a Jagermeister-sponsored compilation wouldn't be complete without a Rich Hardesty song: "Phuck You Song," which is apparently what Jagermeister calls the "clean" version of "Never Wanna Fuckin' See You Again." Way to pretty much ruin the song, Jager.
514. Millennium Funk Party (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - This is a pretty good collection of '70s funk. My favorites are "You Dropped a Bomb On Me" by The Gap Band, "Tear the Roof Off This Sucker" by Parliament, and "Atomic Dog" by George Clinton. Also included is a truncated version of "Rapper's Delight" by Sugar Hill Gang, a song I love, but I'm not sure I consider it funk (and I like the long version).
515. Motown Legends, Volume 3 (last listen: 2-5 years) - Can't go wrong with Motown. My favorites off this one are "I'm Gonna Make you Love Me" by The Supremes and "I Wish It Would Rain" by The Temptations.
516. Only Rock 'N' Roll - 1955-1959 (last listen: 2-5 years) - A good collection of early rock 'n' roll hits. My favorites are "Yakety Yak" by The Coasters, "Donna" by Ritchie Valens, and "Kansas City" by Wilbert Harrison.
517. Only Rock 'N' Roll - 1975-1979 (last listen: 2-5 years) - I definitely like the '50s compilation better. Highlights include "Rich Girl" by Hall & Oates, "Oh Girl" by The Chi-Lites, and of course "Saturday Night" by The Bay City Rollers. Lowlights include the Michael McDonald-sung "What a Fool Believes" by The Doobie Brothers. He really is an asshole.
518. OrMusic.com - Another Original Instant Classic (last listen: never) - I'm not sure when or where I got this promotional 5-song CD. It features songs by Pitty Sing, Adam Richman, and Pure Reason Revolution, none of them particularly fantastic.
519. Q Rocks (last listen: 1-2 years) - This is a really good collection of modern rock that came with an issue of Q magazine (a British music rag) that I got in London back in aught three. It features songs by Foo Fighters, Audioslave, My Morning Jacket, and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, among others.
520. RS 500 (last listen: never) - This came with the Rolling Stone issue that listed the 500 greatest songs in rock history. This CD does not include 491 of those songs, but it does include songs by Bob Dylan, Aerosmith, Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, and The Who.
521. Top Rock 'N' Roll Hits (Billboard) - 1970 (last listen: 2-5 years) - All ten songs on this one are good.
522. The Rock 'N' Roll Era - Roots of Rock: 1945-1956 (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - This is another Time-Life series where I ordered the first CD at a low price, then canceled before I started getting a CD a month at $49.99 or whatever it might be. Anyway, this CD is awesome, featuring some of the pre-rock-and-roll-era blues, R&B, jump blues, and doo wop songs that influenced what would become rock and roll. My favorites are "Sixty-Minute Man" by The Dominoes (an innuendo-laden , "Caldonia" by Louis Jordan (a jump blues classic), "Rocket 88" by Jackie Brenston & His Delta Kings (thought by many to be the first rock and roll song), and "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" by Lloyd Price and "The Things That I Used to Do" by Guitar Slim (two New Orleans R&B/blues classics).
523. Sounds of the Eighties - 1984 (last listen: 2-5 years) - Yet another Time-Life one-and-done CD. It's a good one. Rather than list the many wonderful songs from my childhood that are on this CD, I'll just let you click on the link and see for yourself.

No comments: