Monday, February 14, 2011

Love Me Like a Reptile

This weekend was pretty low key. I had a grand total of one beer, which I think is a record low (if not damn close) since sometime the summer before my freshman year of college.

I ended up watching the documentary Lemmy twice -- on Friday night when it debuted and then again on Saturday night. For those of you who don't have VH1 Classic -- and I genuinely pity you, if that's the case -- Lemmy is a documentary about Lemmy Kilmister, the gravelly voiced lead singer and bassist of Motörhead. It is a must see for any metal fan, and Jester even enjoyed it despite her relative dislike of metal music and her inability to understand anything Lemmy was saying. I think the documentary was, in a way, meant to show you how solitary Lemmy's life is. He is 65 (63 when the documentary was filmed), has never been married, lives alone in a 2-room apartment near the Sunset Strip that he rents for $900 a month, and plays a lot of Touch Screen games at the Rainbow. While that may seem lonely (although I think it sounds quite delightful), he is probably the most loved man on the Sunset Strip, and he's a hell of a nice guy, who just happens to smoke Marlboro Reds and drink a bottle of Jack a day. But he's one of those rock stars who is completely grounded, appreciates where he is and what he's done, and always takes time to talk to fans. He's also bedded over 1,000 women. He also has the best facial hair in metal. I don't know where all this is going, other than to say it was a good flick, and I recommend it.

Then last night I watched the Grammys, interspersed with some Californication. So Lady Antebellum was the big winner, taking home five Grammys. However, their big song "Need You Now" is pretty much a rip off of the Alan Parsons Project's "Eye in the Sky." I could give two shits about Lady Antebellum, or the Alan Parsons Project, for that matter, but there's something about this that just rubs me the wrong way. I also thought Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" sounded a lot like Madonna's "Express Yourself." Apparently I'm not the only one. By the way, that Hank Moody is incorrigible!

I am also very happy that Justin Bieber didn't win Best New Artist. I have no reason to dislike Justin Bieber, but I do. It's the hair, I presume. It's awful. I'm also extremely jealous that he has been in a commercial with Ozzy Osbourne and I haven't (yet). So, congratulations Esperanza Spalding, whoever you are.


Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: