Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: Songs with "Sex" in the Title

So yesterday was Valentine's Day. Hopefully everyone out there was having lots of safe, consensual sex, either with someone else or with yourself. I don't judge.

In honor of V Day, I decided to compile what I believe to be the ten best songs with the word "sex" (or any variation thereof) in the title. Here you go.

Honorable mention: "Sex Type Thing" by Stone Temple Pilots; "Sexx Laws" by Beck; "Make Sex" by Andrew W.K.; "Music is My Hot, Hot Sex" by CSS; "Sex Action" by L.A. Guns; "Sexyback" by Justin Timberlake; "You Sexy Thing" by Hot Chocolate; "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" by Rod Stewart

10. "Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground
What a great title. It was allegedly written after some chick accidentally walked in on one of the dudes in the band and his ladyfriend, and the girl commented that the room smelled like sex and candy. While "candy" is vague in this instance, the title works a lot better than "Sex and A Half-Eaten Bag of Circus Peanuts."

9. "Sex On Fire" by Kings of Leon
This is a solid, straightforward rocker (the kind of songs I wish Kings of Leon would stick to), with an anthemic chorus that can fill any arena or large outdoor concert venue. That said, any burning sensation caused by sex is a serious issue, which brings us to our next entry . . .

8. "Let's Talk About Sex" by Salt 'N' Pepa
This is a nice, catchy song about having safe sex. Let's face it, no one wants to wake up with any sort of discharge coming from their privates or a diminishing T-cell count. Salt 'N' Pepa just wanted to make sure you remembered that.

7. "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd
I don't care if you think this song is cheesy or not, it's a great song. Even though you wished it sucked, it's catchy and little bit funny. I mean, who says to a girl, "I wanna sex you up"? These guys, that's who.
And they meant it.

6. "I Want Your Sex" by George Michael
What I think is really awkward about this song is that, on my way to my first concert ever (a George Michael concert when I was in fifth grade, after winning tickets from Z-95), I had to explain to my mom that George Michael had a song called "I Want Your Sex." Mercifully, she did not ask me to recite the lyrics.

5. "Tired of Sex" by Weezer
This is one of my favorite Weezer songs, and Rivers Cuomo really belts out this song about being tired of having sex with random groupies and not being able to find true love. It's got everything I love in a song: fuzzy guitars, an interesting subject matter, primal screaming, and great use of anticipation.

4. "Sexy MF" by Prince
Prince is pretty much a badass, despite his small stature and affinity for wearing purple and scarves. This song is a solid piece of funk, with a great tagline.

3. "Sexy Sadie" by The Beatles
As I'm sure you remember, this is my sixth favorite Beatles song. It wouldn't be on this list if it had gone by its original title, "Maharishi." John Lennon wrote it about the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who John felt had been a bit of a fraud after he apparently hit on a female attendee of an ashram put on by the Maharishi that the Beatles were also attending in India. At the behest of George Harrison, they changed the name of the song to "Sexy Sadie." One must wonder if they hadn't changed the name to "Sexy Sadie," would I have named my old '89 Accord "Maharishi" and would "Maharishi" have been playing when I totaled the car named Maharishi? Only John Lennon knows for sure. This one wasn't on Playlist.com, but here is a "video" of the song.

2. "Get Up (I Feel Like Being a Sex Machine)" by James Brown
This was a tough call. I almost made this #1. This is just a fantastic example of early funk, courtesy of the Godfather of Soul. Back when I was in college, I swear that every time I went to Kilroy's my junior and senior years, this song played at least once on the jukebox. That's neither here nor there, but the song reminds me of a pretty awesome two-year span. On top of that, the song has one of those grooves that just makes you want to move your hips. Next thing you know, your boss walks in your office and you're humping the windows, allegedly.

1. "Sexual Healing" by Marvin Gaye
It's tough to argue that any song with "sex" in the title can top Marvin Gaye's 1982 classic, "Sexual Healing," released about a year and half before his untimely murder at the hands of his own father. Gaye has, in my opinion, one of the best voices in rock and roll history, and he adds to that voice some lyrics about love makin' and a great title. I also recently learned that, as the music fades out at the end of the song, Gaye sings, "Please don't procrastinate, 'cause then I'll masturbate." Nice work.

Any other "sex" songs I missed?


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

1 comment:

Sir Pe said...

You forgot the classic "I'm Too Sexy" by the British pop band "Right Said Fred"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Too_Sexy