Monday, January 27, 2014

New Book: Bruce by Peter Ames Carlin

I've been a little slow on updating you about my reading over the past two months, and based on the thousands of emails I have received, you're itching for an update and you may believe I may need male enhancement.

I finished reading I Wear the Black Hat: Grappling With Villains (Real and Imagined) by Chuck Klosterman at some point in early December, and it was a typically funny and interesting Chuck Klosterman take on pop culture and history.  As the title implies, it was about villains or perceived villains, from history, sports, music, politics, and media.  Like all Klosterman books, I highly recommend it.


After that, I read Slow Getting Up: A Story of NFL Survival from the Bottom of the Pile by Nate Jackson.  It was a fantastic memoir.  Jackson is a former wide receiver and tight end who played in the NFL for seven seasons, for the 49ers and Broncos, almost entirely as a backup.  The book takes you through the nitty gritty of what it's like to play in the NFL (and NFL Europe) while not being a star.  As it turns out, playing in the NFL has many perks even if you're not a name everyone recognizes.  Of course, you're also pretty much constantly injured and in fear of losing your job.  Anyway, it was a quick read, and really interesting, especially for any football fans.  I would definitely recommend this one as well.

I finished that one just before Christmas, and I've spent the last few weeks dodging polar vortexes while playing Words With Friends and fake craps on my phone during train rides instead of reading anything.  I've built my fake craps fortune from $200 to over $3,300, which is nice, aside from the fact that I have not actually made $3,100.  But I have perfected a strategy for the next time I actually play craps.


Today, I started reading Bruce by Peter Ames Carlin.  Turns out it's about Springsteen, not the shark from Finding Nemo, but I'm going to read it anyway.

No comments: