Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tuesday Top Ten: Concerts of 2013

Although not quite as good as 2012, 2013 was a pretty damn good concert year for me.  Once again, I didn't see a bad show.  2014 doesn't look like it's going to be as fruitful, as there aren't many good shows on the horizon.  But alas, don't let the past remind me of what we are not now.  Anyway, here are my ten favorite shows of 2013 (not counting Lollapalooza):

Honorable mention: 
Flogging Molly, Aragon, January 26

Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, Metro, February 16

The Features, Rib Fest, June 8


Black Crowes, Tedeschi Trucks Band, and London Souls, Charter One Pavilion, August 14

10.  Black Sabbath, First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre, August 16
They are Black Sabbath, and they still kick a lot of ass.  This is the first time in my life that I've taken a cab from an airport and gone directly to a concert.  In the early afternoon, I was attending a hearing in rural West Virginia.  In the evening, I was rocking out to the fathers of metal.

9.  Dropkick Murphys, Aragon, February 22
The pancake hats and Bird jerseys were out in force, and Dropkick Murphys didn't disappoint.  They also played "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" during their encore, so that was awesome.

8.  The Gaslight Anthem, The Riviera, March 1
This is one of my favorite bands from the past few years, and they have been great live every time I've seen them, including last March.  I was able to squeeze myself amongst the hipsters and punks to get relatively close to the stage at The Riv.

7.  Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters, Grant Park, July 12
I had never seen Robert Plant before, so I was both excited and kind of wary because I wasn't sure if he could still hit the high notes.  He made a fool of my doubt.  Not only was his backing band pretty damn good, but Plant wailed.  He played a great, Zeppelin-heavy set, and hit all the notes that I never could.

6.  Vintage Trouble, Beat Kitchen, March 8
Good Lord, these guys put on a great show.  My prediction when I saw them in December 2012 was that they would not be playing at venues as small as the Beat Kitchen for much longer.  Thankfully, they got another show in at Beat Kitchen in March before moving to the larger Park West in October (which I unfortunately missed).  The only negative to this show was that it was the same night the Blackhawks lost their first game of the 2012-2013 season.

5.  Blackfoot Gypsies, The Gills, The JAG, and Swayze, Bottom Lounge, July 6
I decided to see this show based solely on the fact that I liked the name Blackfoot Gypsies.  It just seemed like the kind of band that I would like.  I was right.  This show was one stop on the Gypsy Camp Tour, a 15-show mini-tour with four great rock bands from Nashville.  I liked every one of the bands, and I hope the Gypsy Camp Tour comes through Chicago again in 2014.

3 (tie).  J. Roddy Walston & The Business and Taddy Porter, Double Door, September 12
J. Roddy Walston & The Business, House of Blues, November 12

J. Roddy Walston & The Business is so damn good I saw them twice in two months.  Both shows were equally as awesome, so I'm not going to try to pick one over the other.  The Double Door show was great because it's a small venue, and Taddy Porter opened up.  The House of Blues show was great because it was the largest venue in which I've seen them (aside from Lollapalooza), and they commanded a big venue just as well as they did a small venue.  There is only one thing you need to know about J. Roddy Walston & The Business:  if they come to your town, see them.

2.  The Darkness and Hell or Highwater, The Vic, January 27
For the second year in a row, The Darkness came to Chicago.  For the second year in a row, it was my second concert of the year.  For the second year in a row, they kicked ass.  For the second year in a row, after I left the show, I honestly did not think any other concert during the year could possibly top it.  Until . . .

1.  The Rolling Stones, United Center, May 28
They're The Stones.  Game over.


No comments: