Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Oral History of Swingers

If you were a male in your 20s at any point in the '90s, chances are you've seen Swingers.  It was definitely one of my favorites when I was in college.  Hell, it is the single reason I started drinking scotch.  Five of us went in on a bottle of Glen Fiddich and watched the movie one night while drinking scotch.  I think only me and one other guy actually liked it enough to keep drinking it -- not that we could afford to drink much scotch in college.  Swingers was just one of those movies that every guy could relate to, and it had so many great lines and scenes.  If it weren't 10:30 at night, I would pop it in right now because it's been too long since the last time I've seen it.  If it were 1998, I would be popping it in and pouring myself a glass of a glen.  Any glen will do.

Anyway, Grantland has an awesome article entitled "So Money" (thanks to Wee Wee for the link) that is essentially the oral history of the making of Swingers, told by writer and co-star Jon Favreau, the other actors and actresses in the movie (from Vince Vaughn and Ron Livingston to the random chicks that turn Mikey down throughout the movie), the director, and the producers.  Of course, it's on Grantland, so it may take you several hours to read, but it's definitely worth it if you're a fan of the movie.

No comments: