Tuesday, July 07, 2015

New Book: Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

A week or two ago, I finished reading The Shining by Stephen King.  As I have previously mentioned, The Shining is my favorite horror movie, but I haven't read the book since I was in junior high.  I had forgotten how different the book is than the movie.  The basic plot is the same -- Jack going insane in The Overlook and Danny having "the shining" -- but the ending is entirely different.  I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but I'll just say that there are people who die in the movie who don't die in the book, and a lot of the weird stuff that happens in the movie doesn't happen in the book (and vice versa).  All in all, it's highly entertaining, and it's a must-read for anyone who enjoys horror novels.

Basically the entire reason I bought The Shining is because I also bought Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, which is the long-awaited sequel to The Shining, released in 2013.  I wanted to read them back-to-back, especially since it had been so long since I had read The Shining, and I couldn't really remember the differences between the book and the movie.  Doctor Sleep is about a grown-up Danny Torrance, and his Overlook-related demons.  So far so good.

No comments: