Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Tuesday Top Ten: Halloween Costumes (2017 Edition)

Last Tuesday was the greatest holiday of the year, Halloween.  But you know I don't celebrate Halloween on just one night.  

The Saturday before Halloween I had my annual Halloween party, but this year, it was hair band themed.  Basically, it was the Halloween party I've always dreamed of.  First, of course, we had to make sure we had all the proper food and drink:  plenty of Jack Daniel's, a fine variety of sliced meats and cheeses, and a bowl of M&Ms with all the brown ones removed, just in case Messrs. Anthony, Roth, Van Halen, and Van Halen showed up.  They did not.
The whole family was into it.  I was Slash, Jester was one of my groupies, Daughter was a Def Leppard fan, Lollipop was Lita Ford, and Son was Dee Snider.  If this photo isn't used for our Christmas card this year, I will be sorely disappointed.

I managed to break one of our dinner table chairs by jumping on it with my cowboy boots on when I wanted to crank some Tesla a little louder.  Totally metal.

Here are some shots of the party:


The night ended with a trip to the local dive bar and then a few more beers at my place afterward until about 4:30 in the morning.  How I didn't have a hangover when I woke up for the first time a 40-year-old is beyond me.  One of my birthday presents was left behind by one of my guests the night before.  At some point in the early afternoon, as I was sitting on the couch watching football, I noticed the most adorable little pile of puke on an end table.  Notice the string of regurgitated Jack Daniel's and gouda hanging down.  Rock and fucking roll.

On Halloween proper, I did my usual bit where I dress up like some wraith who bleeds from the eyes and eats children's souls, and I passed out copious amounts of candy to the neighborhood children.

But more to the point, here are the ten best costumes I saw this year, whether in person, on the interwebs, or on Facebook.  These are in no particular order.

1.  A rocker with an actual guitar and amp
Kudos to my buddy Daniel, who went the extra rocker step by making his actual electric guitar a part of his costume, and then bringing a portable amp with which to play it.
2.  Dee Snider
Not to toot my own horn, but I think the Dee Snider costume I made for Son was pretty damn good.  He chose to be Dee Snider because he loves Twisted Sister's videos for "We're Not Gonna Take It" and "I Wanna Rock."  I happily obliged, buying youth shoulder pads and cutting up some black and pink felt.  The wig wasn't perfect, but it's hard to find the perfect wig for a 3-year-old cross-dresser.

3.  (L to R)  Matthew or Gunnar Nelson, C.C. DeVille, Jani Lane, Lonesome Jubilee era John Cougar Mellencamp, and Zakk Wylde


4.  The Night King
I don't watch Game of Thrones (Jesus, I know I need to, so calm down), but I know a good costume when I see one.


5.  Guns N' Roses (get it?) and Joan Jett

6.  Death and Animal
I assume it was some sort of metaphor for animal cruelty.

7.  Axl Rose (L)

8.  Steven Adler (R)

9.  Jack and Coke

10.  The Grady daughters from The Shining
This is phenomenal.

11.  The "Sweet Child O' Mine" cassette single
With an actual sweet child!  And apparently her Hasidic father.  Oy vey!

12.  Price Is Right Contestants
I think Jeremy might be over, so Steve's going to Acapulco!  Bring your kevlar, buddy.

13.  Joan Jett and Garth Algar (?)

No comments: