Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Retro Video of the Week: "It's So Easy" by Guns N' Roses

As you may or may not know -- but if you like rock and roll, you should know -- Guns N' Roses is releasing a remastered and expanded Appetite for Destruction later this month.  You can spend various levels of money to get varying formats of the album and swag.  Most interesting for me is the previously unreleased track "Shadow Of Your Love," which was recorded during the Appetite sessions.  

But on the video side, they started shooting a video for "It's So Easy" in 1989, but never finished it.  Alas, dear reader, it has now been finished.  "It's So Easy" is the second track off of Appetite, and for me, the first time I heard it is right up there with the first time I saw the video for "Sweet Child O' Mine."  The latter occurred while visiting a friend in suburban Memphis.  I had never seen or heard GNR before, and the video for "Sweet Child O' Mine" came on MTV, and I was sold immediately.

Soon after that, I bought Appetite on tape at Phar-Mor -- because that's the kind of thing a 10-year-old did in 1988.  I even showed my mom the cover and asked her if I could buy it, just to be safe.  For reasons that are still unclear to me, she said okay.  This is the same woman who went to a "seminar" at our church about how all heavy metal music is satanic.  In case you weren't aware, AC/DC stands for "Anti-Christ Devils Children."

Anyway, after "Welcome to the Jungle" finished, "It's So Easy" came on and the innocence of my youth was forever gone as soon as Axl said "why don't you just . . . fuck off!"  Whoa.  Needless to say, I've never tired of Appetite or any song on it, so it's fun for me when "new" GNR stuff gets released.  Without further ado, here is the video.

No comments: