Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Retro Video of the Week: "Special" by Garbage

This Friday marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Garbage's second studio album, the aptly titled Version 2.0.  In my mind, Garbage is one of those underrated bands from the '90s that kind of flies under the radar, but whose songs I've always liked.  

While the band's 1995 self-titled debut was certainly a success, Version 2.0 was even bigger.  The album went platinum in the U.S., UK, EU, Australia, Canada, Spain, and New Zealand; topped out at #13 on the Billboard album charts; hit #1 on the UK, French, and Scottish album charts; and cracked the Top 5 on the album charts in eight other countries.  

Version 2.0 had several songs that populated MTV and the Billboard Alternative Tracks charts, like "I Think I'm Paranoid," "Special," "Push It," and "When I Grow Up."  I chose "Special" for this week's Retro Video of the Week, mostly because the video centers around a 31st Century dog fight -- the fighter plane kind of dog flight, not the Michael Vick kind.  Calm down, PETA.

No comments: