Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Retro Video of the Week: "Ricky" by Weird Al Yankovic

Thirty-five years ago tomorrow, master song parodist Weird Al Yankovic released his debut album -- the aptly titled "Weird Al" Yankovic.  Weird Al has been such an ubiquitous fixture since then that it's hard to imagine that he had difficulty getting a record deal because he was viewed as a novelty act that would maybe produce one memorable song before fading into the ether.

His debut album -- produced by Rick Derringer of "Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo" and The McCoys ("Hang On Sloopy") fame -- was a masterpiece in comedic songwriting, featuring five parodies of famous songs and seven Yankovic originals.  

I had this tape back in the day, and admittedly, I bought it several years later, after Weird Al was already huge.  Nonetheless, I loved pretty much every song on the album.  Of his originals, I'd have to say "Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung" was my favorite.  But, of course, it's the parodies that really put him on the map.  I distinctly remember laughing out loud listening to "My Bologna" and "Another One Rides The Bus" for the first time.  For a long time, I knew those songs, along with "I Love Rocky Road," "Ricky," and "Stop Draggin' My Car Around," better than the originals.

I'm going with "Ricky" as this week's Retro Video of the Week.  It was Weird Al's first video, and probably the first comedic video that was played on MTV.  The song is a double parody, with the music parodying Toni Basil's "Mickey" and the lyrics parodying I Love Lucy.  "Ricky" was Weird Al's first song to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, reaching #63 and becoming a harbinger for the success he would have over the next 30+ years.  All of this reminds me that it's time to force my kids to watch UHF.

Interesting tidbit:  In the song and the video, "Lucy" is voiced superbly by voice actor Tress MacNeill, who, among many other things, has voiced (or still voices) various characters on The Simpsons (including Agnes Skinner and Dolph), various characters on Futurama, Daisy Duck, Chip in Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers, and Babs Bunny from Tiny Toon Adventures.   

No comments: