Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Tuesday Top Ten: Favorite "Summer" Songs

Thursday is the first day of summer, although by the amount of sweat that has escaped my pores over the last three days, it seems to have shown up a little early this year.  I like summer.  I don't mind heat, and I generally prefer flip flops, t-shirts, and shorts to snow boots, sweaters, and any kind of pants.

To celebrate the start of summer, here are my ten favorite songs with the word "summer" (or some variation thereof -- "summertime," "summers," "summering," "summerfucking," etc.) in the title, listed alphabetically by artist:

1.  "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams
This was one of my first "favorite" songs when I was a wee lad in the suburbs of H-town.  My friend Patrick had the Reckless tape, and we listened to it a lot in the summer of '85 -- not having any idea that Bryan Adams was only 9 years old in the summer of 1969.  Even after I learned that, it didn't make me love the song any less.  It's still one of those songs that I will never get tired of hearing.


2.  "Sound of Summer" by Art Brut
I came across British DIY indie art punk (that's a genre, right) rockers Art Brut when they opened for The Hold Steady in 2007, and I have been a fan since.  "Sound of Summer" is off of the band's sophomore album, It's a Bit Complicated, and the song highlights Eddie Argos's lyrics and talk-singing (or it is sing-talking?) about making a summer mix tape.


3.  "Summertime Blues" by Blue Cheer
I almost went with Eddie Cochran's original version of "Summertime Blues."  It's a classic and a great early rock and roll song.  But I like Blue Cheer's 1968 cover better.  Often cited as one of the first heavy metal songs.  It's a psychedelic, fuzzed out ode to being bored during the summer.  Other than the original and this one, there are great versions of this song by T. Rex, The Who, and Joan Jett & The Blackhearts.


4.  "Summertime" by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
Whenever I hear the opening "drums please," I immediately think of carefree summer days and nights, where you're just hanging out and seeing where the day takes you.  It's the perfect song for chillin', maxin', and relaxin'.


5.  "Long Hot Summer Night" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
This is just a fun little Hendrix song, isn't it? Unfortunately, I couldn't find the original anywhere on YouTube, so here is an acoustic, less fun version.


6.  "Constructive Summer" by The Hold Steady
This is one of my favorite songs by The Hold Steady, and it's a microcosm of what they're all about:  great uptempo rock and roll, with lyrics about getting smashed that you want to sing along to.  "Double whiskey, Coke, no ice."  


7.  "Summer Breeze" by Seals & Crofts
This song came out before I was born, but I think my parents must have listened to it a lot when I was in the womb because it has always been way too familiar to me.  And as a bonus, it was on the Dazed and Confused soundtrack, so that gives it an extra boost in my book.


8.  "Summer of Dudes" by Township
I have been a fan of Boston-based rockers Township since they formed about 12 years ago.  "Summer of Dudes" is a '70s-inspired rock song with a nice riff, some unusually snarling vocals, and a sweet guitar solo.  I wish more bands made music like this nowadays. It's not on YouTube, but here is the embed for the LP the song is on (which is available on Bandcamp).


9.  "Summer Nights" by Van Halen
I remember hanging out at a local park with a couple friends and a boombox at some point during a summer night in high school, and this song came on the radio (or maybe it was a CD), and it just seemed perfect -- because it's called "Summer Nights."


10.  "Summertime Girls" by Y&T
This was the highest-charting song for the Bay Area's Y&T, and it's definitely more "commercial" than their normal harder rocking stuff, but then again, it was the mid '80s.  The video is certainly one that would be frowned upon these days.


Honorable mention:  "Last Days of Summer" by The Answer; "All Summer Long" by The Beach Boys; "Summer Mood" by Best Coast; "Summertime Blues" by Eddie Cochran;  "Indian Summer" by The Doors; "Summertime Blues" by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts; "Summer Girls" by LFO

No comments: