Monday, November 26, 2018

New Book: Hidden History of Lincoln Park by Patrick Butler

Sorry for the posting hiatus.  I was too busy with work, turkeys, and the like.

A couple weeks ago, I finished reading Different Seasons by Stephen KingDifferent Seasons was released in 1982, and it is comprised of four novellas.  Three of of them have been made into major motion pictures, and the fourth is apparently going to be made into a movie within the next two years.  I liked all of them.  Here are the novellas:
-"Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" is, of course, the basis for The Shawshank Redemption, which I've never seen in full, but I know the premise and I know how it ends.  The novella is good.  It's about perseverance, but you already knew that.
-"Apt Pupil" was the basis for the 1998 film of the same name.  It's about a teenage boy who discovers that a nazi war criminal (now in his 80s) is living under an assumed name in his California town.  The boy and the man become acquaintances, bringing out the worst in each other.  
-"The Body" was adapted into the 1986 classic Stand By Me, which I haven't seen in forever, so basically all I remembered was the infamous puking scene.  The premise is that four twelve-year-olds in rural Maine in 1959 hear about the location of the dead body of a kid from another town, so they head off to find it.
-"The Breathing Method" is scheduled to be adapted into a film in 2020.  It's about a strange and secretive men's club in New York City, where the members occasionally tell weird or macabre stories.  It is the story within the story that an elderly club member bestows on the membership that was definitely the most grisly and interesting part of the four novellas for me.  I'm interested to see the film adaptation of "The Breathing Method," as there is some pretty gruesome stuff going on.

I have since started reading Hidden History of Lincoln Park by Patrick Butler.  Since I've lived in various locations in that neighborhood for over a decade, I figured I should probably know a little bit more about the history.  Everyone knows about John Dillinger being shot in the alley next to to the Biograph Theater on Lincoln Avenue, or the St. Valentine's Day Massacre at what is now an empty yard on Clark, between Armitage and Webster, but there is a lot more (good and bad).  Hell, I've already learned about some local bars that I've visited many times that are haunted.

Books Read in 2018:
-How Music Works by David Byrne
-But What If We're Wrong?: Thinking About the Present As If It Were the Past by Chuck Klosterman
-Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore
-My Cross to Bear by Gregg Allman with Alan Light
-Different Seasons by Stephen King

No comments: