Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Retro Video of the Week: "Jump (For My Love)" by The Pointer Sisters

Thirty-five years ago yesterday, The Pointer Sisters released their tenth studio album, Break Out.  After achieving success during the '70s and early '80s, the genre-bending siblings were down to a trio by this point.  Break Out would be the group's most successful album, both on the Billboard album charts (where it peaked at #8) and from a sales standpoint (going triple platinum in the U.S.).  

All six of the singles released from the album charted, doing no worse than #48 on the Billboard Hot 100:  "I Need You" (#48), "Automatic" (#5), "Jump (For My Love)" (#3), "I'm So Excited" (remix) (#9), "Neutron Dance" (#6), and "Baby Come and Get It" (#44).

I'm going with "Jump (For My Love)" because it's the first song I think of when I hear "The Pointer Sisters."  As a six-year-old in 1984, I remember being somewhat amazed that there were two really huge songs called "Jump" (the other being Van Halen's, of course).  Both were massive at the roller rinks, on Top 40 radio, and on MTV.  And the "(For My Love)" was actually added to the title of The Pointer Sisters' song to differentiate it from the Van Halen song.  "Jump (For My Love)" got all the way up to #3 on the Billboard Hot 100, not to mention Top 10 in several other countries. It would be the group's last Top 5 hit on the Billboard Hot 100.  With that, here is June Pointer on lead vocals, backed by sisters Anita and Ruth, giving you a little slice of '80s pop pie.

No comments: