Monday, October 07, 2019

New Book: Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011 by Lizzy Goodman

A few weeks ago, I finished reading Chicago by David Mamet, Mamet's first novel in 20+ years.  It's historical fiction set in 1920s Chicago, and it follows a newspaper reporter (who is also a WWI vet), his courtship of the daughter of an Irish flower shop owner, and the seedy underbelly of Chicago in the era of Prohibition.  I don't want to give too much away, so I'll just leave it at that.  If that kind of thing interests you, you'll probably like this book.  It seems like the kind of book that is primed to be adapted to the big screen.

I then started reading Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011 by Lizzy Goodman, which came recommended to me by a friend shortly after I mentioned that I had seen The Strokes at Lollapalooza.  It's an oral history about how rock was rejuvenated in NYC in the first decade of this century by bands like The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Interpol, LCD Soundsystem, TV on the Radio, and others.  I'm about halfway through at this point, and it's great so far.  It's also a little bittersweet because I'm still waiting for that next rock revolution.

Books Read in 2019:
-The Anatomy of Evil by Michael H. Stone, M.D.
-The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King
-Room Full of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix by Charles R. Cross
-Chuck Klosterman X: A Highly Specific, Defiantly Incomplete History of the Early 21st Century by Chuck Klosterman
-Lou Reed: A Life by Anthony DeCurtis
-Chicago by David Mamet

No comments: