Friday, October 25, 2019

Rocktober '70s Song #15: "Strutter" by KISS

The '70s kind of belonged to KISS more than any other rock band, although I'm pretty I've said that about like five other bands.  Picking a KISS song for Rocktober was tough task.  I wanted to pick a song that I hadn't showcased yet, but the fact that I did three Tuesday Top Tens about KISS in February, leading up to my kids' first KISS concert in early March -- Ranking KISS's "Love" SongsNon-Charting KISS Songs By '70s Studio Album, and Ranking KISS's Charting Singles -- made it difficult to pick one that I haven't already talk about.

After a trip to Costco, three hours of Tae Bo, and some really intense stretching, it came to me.  I would go back to the beginning.  The first song off of the self-titled debut album:  "Strutter."  It's a wonderful rock song about some uppity tease who's got it and knows she's got it.  After all, she wears her satins like a lady, but she gets her way just like a child.  You're all excited because she lets you take her home, so you're thinking, man, I'm finally gonna get some leg tonight.  You get home, and you put a log on the fireplace.  You each have a glass or two of Franzia's White Grenache, and you put on some Barry White --'cause that's just some good love-makin' music.  Things seem to be progressing well.  And then she's all "maybe."  Then you're thinking, What the fuck does "maybe" mean?  According to Jack Johnson, it pretty much always means "no." Well shit, I don't want this to turn into an Aziz Ansari situation.  But I also want to tap that ass.  Did I just say "tap that ass?"  Yeah, I did.  Oh Jesus, I've been silent for like thirty seconds now, staring at her with a deer-in-headlights half-smile on my face.  And by that time, she's got her coat on and is giving you the "sorry, I have to get up early tomorrow" excuse.  A peck on the cheek later and she's gone.  It's a terribly frustrating situation, but one that any guy who has been strung along by that glimmer of hope that a hot chick might actually be into you can relate to.  The song should have been called "Blue Balls."

No comments: