Thursday, October 10, 2019

Rocktober '70s Song #4: "I Need to Know" by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (1978)

You all know who Tom Petty is.  While it seems like he's always been around -- despite the fact that he's no longer around -- because of his career spanning four decades, he and The Hearbreakers were still relatively new to the scene in 1978 when they released their second album, You're Gonna Get It!  It would be another year until the band really broke through, with their blockbuster Damn the Torpedoes album.  When You're Gonna Get It! came out, they only had one Top 40 hit in the U.S. ("Breakdown").

Obviously, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers have a ton of great songs from the '70s, but I'm going with "I Need to Know" off of You're Gonna Get It!.  The song was the band's second charting single in the U.S., getting up to #41 on the Billboard Hot 100.  I feel like this song sometimes gets lost among Petty's vast catalog, so I am here to steer your attention back to it.  "I Need to Know" is a rollicking rocker about a subject everyone can relate to:  wanting to know if the person you're dating is going to ditch you or if he or she is in it for the long haul.  Based on the frantic tone of the song, my guess is the former.

No comments: