Monday, August 10, 2020

CoronaVinyl Day 125 ('10s Live Album): Live at Pickathon by Diarrhea Planet and Those Darlins

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Our final stop in our journey through the decades of live albums brings us to the newly finished teens.  I have a few live albums from last decade on vinyl, and most are by bands I've already featured on CoronaVinyl, so I decided to go with a live album that is only half by a band I've already featured.  This is Live at Pickathon by Diarrhea Planet and Those Darlins.  This was a 2015 Record Store Day exclusive, featuring (on gold vinyl) a live side by each of the two bands from their respective sets at the 2014 Pickathon music festival in Oregon.

Both Diarrhea Planet and Those Darlins were Nashville based, and I've sung both of their praises here before.  Diarrhea Planet is hands down one of the best live bands I've ever seen, and DP's set on this album gives you a window into their legendary live performances.  It's a wall of guitar sound and solos played with maximum energy.  

I have also seen Those Darlins -- whose 2011 album Screws Get Loose was my favorite of that year -- a few times, though not as many as I've seen DP.  But they're great live too.  Their set on this album is also full of energy, showcasing their fun and catchy mix of punk, garage rock, and rockabilly.

Sadly, both bands have since broken up (Those Darlins in 2016 and Diarrhea Planet in 2018).

The album isn't on Spotify, but someone posted most of DP's entire set from Pickathon on YouTube, so I embedded that.  For your reference, the songs that made it on the live album are, in order on the album, "Spooners," "Separations," "Raft Nasty," "Kids," "Warm Ridin'," and "Ghost With a Boner."  I couldn't find a similar video of Those Darlins' performance, but I embedded a live studio version of "Red Light Love" that was filmed at Pickathon in 2014.

Favorite song from Side 1:  "Ghost With a Boner" by Diarrhea Planet
Setting aside that this is just an awesome name for a song, I think this song is one that represents what I loved about the band. All four guitarists are shredding, the drums are maniacal, the bassist is probably hurting his fingers, and everyone is having fun.  While the audio on the album is much better than the audio in the video below, at least the video captures the pure energy of their live shows.


Favorite song from Side 2:  "Red Light Love" by Those Darlins
The first song on Side 2 is Red Light Love," which is probably my favorite Those Darlins song.  They come out with energy, wicked guitars, and delicious fills on this catchy garage rocker.

No comments: