Thursday, December 02, 2021

CoronaVinyl Day 352 (N): Kenny Nolan by Kenny Nolan

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Yesterday's CoronaVinyl category was "N," and one of the albums I got from my neighbor was Kenny Nolan's self-titled 1977 debut album.  It's also the last album by an "N" artists that I have for the timebeing.

Nolan was a singer-songwriter who mainly worked in the '70s and '80s.  He got his start in the music business as a songwriter, and with veteran songwriter Bob Crewe, he co-wrote various hits for other artists, like Frankie Valli's 1974 #1 hit "My Eyes Adored You" and Labelle's 1974 #1 hit "Lady Marmalarde" -- which were #1 in consecutive weeks -- Disco-Tex and the Sex-O-Lettes' 1974 Top 10 hit "Get Dancin'," among others.

After a brief stint in the band Firefly and then the studio band The Eleventh Hour, Nolan decided to record a solo album.  The album itself didn't chart very well, reaching only #78 on the Billboard album chart, but it had three songs that charted on the Billboard Hot 100, including Nolan's biggest two hits: "I Like Dreamin'" (#3), "Love's Grown Deep" (#20), and "My Eyes Get Blurry" (#97).

The album is pure late '70s soft rock, so it's a little cheesy by today's standards, but it's what the kids (i.e., our parents) liked back then.  The album isn't on Spotify, but there's a greatest hits album that has most of the songs on the album, so I'm just embedding that below.    

Favorite Song on Side 1:  "My Jole"
This song is a little funkier than the rest of the songs on the album, and would probably fit in on any yacht rock playlist
.

Favorite Song on Side 2:  "Today I Met the Girl I'm Gonna Marry"
This appears to be a response song to Darlene Love's 1963 Top 40 hit "Today I Met the Boy I'm Gonna Marry," and it has an early '60s soul feel to it.  

No comments: