Wednesday, March 16, 2022

CoronaVinyl Day 402 (C): Greatest Hits by Ray Charles

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

I've been meaning to post this since Monday, but, you know, brackets.  This will probably be the only CoronaVinyl post of the week because, you know, the NCAA Tournament.  Today's CoronaVinyl category is "C," and I went with Ray Charles's 1962 Greatest Hits album.

The album features some of Charles's most enduing and iconic songs, like the #1 hits "Georgia On My Mind" and "Hit The Road Jack," and the Top 10 hits "Unchain My Heart" and "One Mint Julep."  It went to #5 on the Billboard album chart and #16 on the UK album chart.  This Greatest Hits isn't on Spotify, so I just embedded a playlist with a bunch of his hits.

Favorite Song on Side 1:  "Unchain My Heart"
This one is one of Charles's best-known songs, and with good reason.  It's a great early '60s R&B song with a little bit of a Latin beat underlying it and a nice sax solo from David "Fathead" Newman.

Favorite Song on Side 2:  "Hit The Road Jack"
I tried to go with one of his less-popular songs from Side 2, but at the end of the day, I couldn't stray from "Hit The Road Jack."  It's just such a great song, with The Raelettes and Charles dueling in a classic call-and-response.

No comments: