Wednesday, March 23, 2022

CoronaVinyl Day 404 (E): Wha'ppen? by The English Beat

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Today's CoronaVinyl category is "E," and I went with an album that perhaps matches my living room rug better than any other record I own, The English Beat's second studio album, 1981's Wha'ppen?

While staying true to their ska and two-tone roots, the band changed musical direction somewhat on Wha'ppen? to incorporate more world music influences and was less punky than their first album, I Just Can't Stop It.  There are songs with Spanish guitars, steel drums, and even a song sung in Dominican creole ("French Toast (Soleil Trop Chaud)").  It's a great album to listen to on a warm day with a cocktail in your hand.

The album only reached #126 on the Billboard album chart, but went to #3 on the UK album chart, tying I Just Can't Stop It for their highest-charting album in the UK.  It produced two Top 40 songs on the UK pop chart, "Drowning" (#22) and "Doors of Your Heart" (#33).  Most importantly, the album title reminds me of Fred Willard's character in A Mighty Wind, which always puts a smile on my face.  "Wha' happened?"

The Spotify version of the album is an extended version with four extra tracks.

Favorite Song on Side 1:  "All Out to Get You"
This is an uptempo song with some sax and a nice Caribbean feel.

Favorite Song on Side 2:  "Dream Home in New Zealand"
I wonder how close it is to the Toothbrush Fence.

No comments: