Wednesday, March 09, 2022

Retro Video of the Week: "Big Poppa" by Notorious B.I.G.

Today is the 25th anniversary of the murder of Christopher Wallace, better known to the world as Notorious B.I.G., in Los Angeles at the age of 24.  In his short career, Biggie became one of the biggest (no pun intended) rappers in the world and is rightly regarded as both one of the most influential hip hop artists of all-time and the man most responsible for the resurgence of East Coast rap.

"Big Poppa," from his 1994 album Ready to Die, was his first Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, reaching #6.  It was the song that I definitely remember as causing me to take notice of him, and I still think the line "Allow me to lace these lyrical douches in your bushes" is the best use of "douche" in musical history.

No comments: