Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Tuesday Top Ten: Halloween Costumes

Having recently celebrated the greatest holiday of the year, it's appropriate that I share with you what I thought were the best costumes I saw. Ryan's special ladyfriend Kaila and her roommate Mary had a Halloween party, which was a hell of a time. There were some good costumes there and some bad ones as well (most notably, Ryan's intial costume -- intended to be part of a group of Tom Cruises -- as Stefen Djordjevic from All The Right Moves, which entailed jeans, a polo shirt, and a high school football jacket, and was bad enough that he left the party, went home, and changed into a slightly-less-bad costume of a SCUBA diver).

Granted, I tend to take Halloween a little bit more seriously than most, but if you're not going to go all out, then you deserve to burn in hell. No offense to anyone.

I went as Max Fischer from Rushmore. Sic Transit Gloria. I made Perfect Attendance and Punctuality Award buttons, bought the pair of glasses I felt closest resembled Max's, found a Rushmore Academy crest, which Jester kindly sewed onto a blazer, and I styled my hair as close as I could (although I shouldn't have gotten it cut in early September, as I still didn't give myself enough time to grow it out enough). Anyway, here was the result (along with Holt, who was literally a flying Dutchman and wore this costume with no knowledge of the Tom Cruises):While I thought my costume was pretty good, it was by no means the best (or even in the top ten). With that, I give you my top five costumes I saw at the party (in no particular order).

10. Rachel and her boyfriend (?) dressed as Patrick Kane and the cabbie he beat up. I don't have a picture.

9. Some French guy dressed as a redneck. I can't tell if this is hilarious or cruel or both, but this dude's friends put him in this costume. Awesome.

8, 7. Some people I don't know as Gem ('80s cartoon rocker) and Cochese, Sir Stewart Wallace, and The Rookie from the Beastie Boys "Sabotage" video (no picture of Sir Stewart Wallace).

5. Daniel as Alan from The Hangover

4. Goni as Sponge Bob No Pants. You can't really tell, but he has no pants on.

3. Todd and wife as Max and one of the wild things from Where the Wild Things Are. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of this. Todd's wife made his costume, which included a giant mask that appeared to be made, at least in part, of papier mache. A wild rumpus indeed.

2. Kaila and Mary as Laverne & Shirley

1. The Brothers Weeser* (minus Greg, of course) as Doc and Marty, complete with a real live working walkman and a DeLorean, minus the DeLorean. Incidentally, we watched Back to the Future at the third-grade birthday party of The Brothers Weeser* (minus Dan and Tim, oddly).

2 comments:

what are you, a lawyer? said...

what is that.

oh, that's latin isn't it.

Michael said...

I made the top 4? Sweet!