Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesday Top Ten: Questions I Struggle With On A Daily Basis

I have an overactive imagination, and I tend to overthink pretty much everything. Most days, I ask myself way too many questions to which I don't have the answers. Some of them are stupid and superficial. Others are deeper and extremely disconcerting (to me, anyway). With that, here are the top ten questions I struggle with on a daily basis (in no particular order):

10. If the color I recognize as red is actually what everyone else recognizes as blue, and vice versa, how would anyone ever know?

9. Holy shit, what's up with space? And if it's infinite, how can anyone possibly know that? And isn't the concept of infinity terrifying?

8. At what point in a woman's life does she make the conscious decision to cut her hair like a little boy?

7. I'll premise this one by saying that I am of the view that smart people should have more than the average 2.3 kids and dumb people should have fewer than 2.3 kids. Why do dumb people procreate so prolifically? Is it because they aren't smart enough to comprehend that they shouldn't be spreading their dumb seed? Or is it because they're assholes who don't care about the future of humanity? Or is it because they just don't understand contraceptive techniques?

6. If I can do my job just as effectively wearing a t-shirt and shorts, why the hell do I have to wear business casual.

5. Does heaven get boring? Or once you get there, do you wake up every day without knowing that you will be there for eternity?

4. Why is it that most of the women who wear tights in public have no idea they shouldn't wear tights in public? (By the way, if you're reading this and you wear tights in public, just stop.)

3. Are ghosts real? If so, what the fuck am I supposed to tell my kids?

2. How can anyone under 40 be a Republican?

1. How can anyone know that God exists? And how can anyone know that God doesn't exist?

If you can answer any of these questions, please do so.

6 comments:

A wall in the Islington Underground station in 1967 said...

For your answer to the first part of #1, look no further than me.

RDC said...

The good news is that you'll never have to concern yourself with the answer to #5

Unknown said...

#2) Because we're smarter, and it doesn't take us four decades to figure things out.

realistic pessimist said...

#7) what about the opposite question: why don't smart people understand that they should have more, or at least, kids, or their country will go to hell in a hand basket. wait. is going to hell in a hand basket--because there are too many dumb people.

#7a) subquestion: was the eugenics movement really that bad an idea?

#2) how can a smart person with any understanding of human nature or the impossibility of a utopian plenty-for-all world be a democrat?

Anonymous said...

Have you ever looked at your asshole in a mirror? That blows my fucking mind.

Anonymous said...

How many fingers can I fit into my wife's vagina is one I struggle with.