Thursday, May 02, 2013

Retro Video of the Week: "Beds Are Burning" by Midnight Oil

Apologies for the lack of posting over the last few days.  I was getting over an eight-week bender, but I should have more time to devote to posting now that I'm physically and spiritually cleansed.  Speaking of spiritual cleansing, that's exactly what Midnight Oil was advocating in its classic 1987 hit "Beds Are Burning," which is a politically charged song demanding that Australia return certain lands to Aboriginal tribes.  One thing I find to be pretty amazing is that the video on YouTube has over 12 million views, and not a single "thumbs down" vote.  On a somewhat related note, I was watching Saturday Night Live back in '93, and Midnight Oil was the musical guest (it was the one that Christina Appelgate hosted, with the first Matt Foley sketch -- pretty sure I've never laughed harder during an SNL sketch).  My dad was watching with me and said, "Well that's just rock and roll," apparently indicating his shock that a band on Saturday Night Live at that time was not a grunge or alternative band.  That probably means nothing to you, but for some reason, I always remember that whenever I hear a Midnight Oil song or see someone totally bald.

No comments: