Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Retro Video of the Week: "Dead Flowers" (live) by The Rolling Stones

Given that I saw the Rolling Stones last night, it seemed appropriate to make the Retro Video of the Week a Stones song.  Of course, I'm not going to choose something from the MTV era, since I'm sure you don't want to see the "Mixed Emotions" video.  I went with "Dead Flowers," one of my ten favorite Stones songs, off of my favorite Stones album, Sticky Fingers.  This version was filmed live at the Marquee Club in London in March 1971. (I also happened upon a cover by Guns N' Roses, which you can hear here.)

I'm pretty sure this stanza might be one of the best in rock history:

    Well, when you're sitting back
    In your rose pink Cadillac
    Making bets on Kentucky Derby day,
    I'll be in my basement room
    With a needle and a spoon
    And another girl to take my pain away.

Just so we're clear, sweetheart, you can go to the Derby, but while you're in Louisville, I'm going to be shooting heroin in the basement with some chick called Carol, who I will also be banging.  Fair warning.  This, coming from a man wearing only a gold sequined short-sleeved mid-riff vest.

No comments: