Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Retro Video of the Week: "Lithium" by Nirvana

This past Saturday marked the 20th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's suicide.  It's kind of weird -- and makes me feel extremely old -- knowing that he has been dead for more of my life than he was alive.  

Even now, I have mixed feelings about Kurt Cobain and Nirvana.  There is no doubt that they revolutionized music, ushered in grunge, and essentially killed hair metal and happy-go-lucky hard rock for a few years there, for better or worse.  I like Nirvana, and I like their music.  And, of course, if there is a silver lining to Cobain's death, it's that it indirectly gave birth to the Foo Fighters, who I think are one of the best rock bands of the last 20 years (if not the best).

On the other hand, I have a hard time lionizing Cobain.  I understand that he was troubled and had a rough upbringing, but it's hard for me to get past the fact that he was a heroin addict who refused help and shot himself in the head.  Unlike the other famous members of the 27 Club (Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin), who died of accidentally (overdoses in the case of Morrison and Joplin, and choking on his own vomit in his sleep in the case of Hendrix), Cobain killed himself.  Sure, there are mental health concerns and addiction at play, but he still had a choice (and a wife and a daughter).  I also think his death most certainly helped his legacy, more than just about any other rock star who died prematurely.  I'm not sure he would have the accolades and place in rock royalty he has now if he was still alive.  Or maybe he would.  Who knows.

Anyway, here's the video for one of my favorite Nirvana songs, "Lithium," which seems fitting, since lithium is a mood stabilizer used to treat depression.

No comments: