Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Retro Video of the Week: "Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid" by Hall and Oates

I didn't really have any particular video in mind for this week's Retro Video of the Week, so I left it to chance, vowing to myself that I would make the Retro Video of the Week the next song that came across my iPod (which is always on shuffle) from the MTV era (assuming the song had a video).  As luck would have it, Hall and Oates's 1985 Top 20 hit "Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid" was the first one to satisfy my criteria, making this the third week in a row that the Retro Video of the Week will feature a 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee.

Admittedly, this isn't one of my favorite Hall and Oates songs, but rules are rules.  I was actually surprised to see that this song made it as high as #18 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts in 1985, but then again, that was the worst-charting song for Hall and Oates in about three years.  Check this stat:  between 1981 and 1985, Hall and Oates released 16 singles in the U.S.  All 16 made the Top 40, 14 made the Top 20, 12 made the Top 10, and 5 hit #1.  By only making it as high as #18, "Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid" did worse than all but three other Hall and Oates singles in that span.  That is pretty remarkable, and I'm glad to see they finally got inducted into the Rock Hall.

No comments: