Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Retro Videos of the Week: "Smokin' in the Boys Room" by Mötley Crüe and "I Wish" by Skee-Lo

Apologies for failing to post a Tuesday Top Ten yesterday.  I completely forgot.  Thanks for nothing, mescaline, you rascal!  And I'll be out of pocket tomorrow and Friday, so this will most likely be my only post of the week.  To make up for this relative dearth of posts, I will give you two Retro Videos of the Week.  

First is Mötley Crüe's cover of Brownsville Station's "Smokin' in the Boys Room."  This week marks the 30th anniversary of the release of Mötley Crüe's third studio album, Theatre of Pain.  Most fans would probably consider this the worst of the classic Crüe albums (i.e., their first five albums), but it was the album that catapulted them into superstardom.  It was their first Top 10 album (hitting #6), and "Smokin' in the Boys Room" was the band's first Top 40 hit, topping out at #16 on the Billboard Hot 100.  The video is a classic, featuring a dog actually eating a high school kid's homework and horror film veteran Michael Berryman as the principal.  Predictably, Mötley Crüe pulls the kid into an alternate reality through a mirror in the boys room.  Surprisingly, however, there is no smoking anywhere in the video.  Make sure to watch until the end, when Berryman wiggles his ears.


Second is "I Wish" by Skee-Lo, whose debut album, also called I Wish, was released 20 years ago this week.  As a man of average stature, "I Wish" -- well, the first line and the verse about being picked last for basketball, anyway -- was a bit of an anthem for me.  Catchy as hell, the song rose to #13 on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as the Top 20 in nine other countries.  Unfortunately, for Skee-Lo, he should have wished for a follow-up single, as this was his only hit.  But I think we can all agree that it's better to be a one hit wonder than a no hit wonder.

No comments: