Thursday, December 06, 2007

Midwestern Eavesdropping - 12/6/07

It's been far too long since I've posted a Midwestern Eavesdropping, so I just wanted to make sure you all know that it has not died and that you should still be submitting your eavesdroppings to me at gmyhblog@yahoo.com.

Fiftysomething male cab driver, referring to house music that he is blaring: "This is how you take down communism."
--Chicago, somewhere on Lincoln Ave.
Eavesdropper: GMYH


Art Director at an advertising agency: "Well I only went to real college for 1.5 yrs. Then I transferred to art school where everyone smells and loves anime."
--Chicago, Wacker & Dearborn
Eavesdropper: RDC


A guy and a girl at a party discuss a club the guy was involved with in high school:
Girl: "You had something called Plant Lovers Club in high school?"
Guy: "Yeah, it was all stoners and kids with Down Syndrome."
--Chicago, Irving Park & Marshfield
Eavesdropper: GMYH


Crazy chick talking to friend on cell phone about calling some dude: "Uh huh . . . uh huh . . . uh huh . . . no, it only shows up as a missed call, not how many times I called him."
--Chicago, somewhere on Addison
Eavesdropper: Popper


Twentysomething special ed teacher: "I thought Angora was a type of cat."
--Chicago
Eavesdropper: The Loose-Lipped Lithuanian

Two twentysomething females on L:
Female 1: "I used to want to be an archeologist because I thought it would be cool to dig around in dirt to find old stuff but then I figured I would have to do it the rest of my life."
Female 2: "Plus you'd have to work with old people in hats."
--Chicago, Brown Line train
Eavesdropper: GMYH


Twentysomething special ed teacher: "I'm afraid of a herd of dolphins attacking our boat."
--Chicago
Eavesdropper: The Loose-Lipped Lithuanian


Twentysomething female outside bar: "Why is that woman fighting with two short gay men?"
--Chicago, Corcoran's, North & Wells
Eavesdropper: GMYH


Someone not familiar with names of extremely famous baseball stadiums: "Coming up on the left you're going to see Cubs Park."
--Chicago, Addison & Clark
Eavesdropper: Tron


Guy on cell phone, on crowded L train, loudly: "This guy this morning on the L wouldn't stop talking loudly on his phone. It was incredibly annoying."
--Chicago, Brown Line train
Eavesdropper: RDC


Waiter at a Japanese restaurant to table of 10 people sitting in private room: "You guys, if a Mexican comes in here, he has your beer so don't shoot him. He's nice."
--Bloomington, IN, Japanee, 8th & Walnut
Eavesdropper: GMYH


This one falls into the category of not really an eavesdropping, but it's worthy of inclusion anyway:
While I was standing in the security line at a Cook County administration building, I noticed a sign above the security gate with a few dos and don'ts, including this one:
"Disrupted behavior is not allowed."
--Chicago, Sedgwick & Superior
Eavesdropper: GMYH


Thanks, as always, to everyone who contributed. I am going to try to once again make this a weekly (or at least bi-weekly) thing, so please keep your ears open. I love you all.

No comments: