Tuesday, October 14, 2008

New Book: Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman

I finished Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis, and it was predictably dark, drug-filled, and interesting. I didn't like it as much as American Psycho or Glamorama, but I still enjoyed it, and I still can't believe Ellis wrote it when he was in college. So, while Ellis was busy writing novels that would get made into movies starring Andrew McCarthy, at the same age I was busy not getting laid.

I have moved onto Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman. This is Klosterman's first novel. I thoroughly enjoyed his first four books, so I am anxious to see what Klosterman can do with fiction. The book is about a fictional small town in North Dakota named Owl, and the inns, outs, and idiosyncrasies of the various inhabitants of Owl, focusing on the points of view of a third-string quarterback on the Owl HS football team, a new-to-Owl female high school teacher who just graduated from 'Sconsin, and an old man who has lived in Owl his whole life and whose wife is long dead. So far so good.

Tuesday Top Ten will be postponed a week as I regroup from a soon-to-be-recapped weekend trip to DC. As a teaser, I'll let you know that it involves bleeding dogs, fighter pilots, and Freemasonry.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm reading Downtown Owl right now, too. I like it so far. Be sure to post your thoughts when you're done.