Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Soxtoberfest 2008

It is Soxtoberfest once again!

Thanks to the timeliness of Sean "Never Been Any" Riesenbeck and the connections of one or more of the Ramp brothers, I was able to attend last night's tiebreaker game and sit in the Bullpen Bar to boot, along with the aforementioned Sean, Ramps, and a couple other dudes.

In case you missed it, it was a hell of a game, with the Sox winning a 1-0 pitchers' duel to win the AL Central. The Sox had a "black out," wherein everyone attending the game was encouraged to wear black, and black hand towels were distributed to all in attendance. It worked out nicely, I thought. Hopefully they will continue this trend throughout the playoffs.

As you can imagine, Comiskey was abuzz. I don't know if the crowd was more excited when Griffey threw a perfect strike to A.J. to get Michael Cuddyer trying to tag or when Thome hit his 461-foot bomb to center field or when Brian Anderson made a diving catch in center for the last out. My only complaint is that the Sox stopped their victory lap short of the Bullpen Bar, except for D.J. Carrasco, who had no qualms about spraying champagne on all sides of the field.

Then after the game, we headed to Wabash Tap, since it was Tuesday night and all. While there, we struck up a conversation with a scout for the Phillies, in town to scout the Dodgers/Cubs series. He also happened to be the son of former Sox and Phillies manager Jim Fregosi, so that was pretty cool. The next couple hours seemed to fly right by, as I looked at my phone around 1:06 (or so I assume) and realized that I had once again managed to sabotage myself. Personally, I blame Jessie for not being there to yell at me to go home earlier.

As far as my sports-related experiences, last night ranks near the top, along with being on SportsCenter in aught two and winning a Shiner Bock cooler in a long snapping contest at Rocks last Thursday.

Here are some pictures of the "black out," the crowd going nuts, fireworks, D.J. Carrasco carrying a bottle of champagne, and my dog looking like a total badass vampire ninja.

No comments: