Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Tuesday Top Ten: Movies I'm Embarrassed I Haven't Seen

I like movies, and I've seen a lot of them. Sure, not as many as a Gene Shalit or a Greg Weeser*, but I've seen my fair share. However, for some reason, there are a handful of movies that I have always meant to see, but just never have. Frankly, it's embarrassing. I'm excluding movies that I've seen most of (such as Shawshank). These aren't in any specific order, except reverse alphabetical by second to last letter.
  • Schindler's List (1993). I will likely not make out during this movie when I finally do watch it.
  • Poltergeist (1982). I love horror movies, and I've seen just about all of the classics. Somehow, though, Poltergeist has slipped through the cracks. And now DirecTV has mounted a campaign to exploit this failure and humiliate me by using a scene from Poltergeist in one of their ads.
  • Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Any movie involving a dude riding a nuclear bomb like a horse seems like one that I should see.
  • Raging Bull (1980). Scorsese and DeNiro. Why haven't I seen this?
  • Fargo (1996). I love the Coen Brothers, and this won Best Picture. What the fuck is wrong with me?
  • The Deer Hunter (1978). There were countless times when I was in high school or home from college before I was 21 with nothing to do except hang out with the crew and rent movies. Many times I had The Deer Hunter in my hand at Blockbuster or Hollywood, but put it down in favor of something a bit more germane, such as the horribly disappointing Around the World in Eighty Ways or the hilariously poignant Orgy of the Dead.
  • Shrek (2001). I've always been a bit of an ogrephile, and this is supposedly based on the story of an ogre.
  • A Few Good Men (1992). I OWN this movie. Worse yet, I've owned it for approximately 10 years. Yet I've never thought to pop it in the VCR (yes, the VCR -- that's how long I've owned it, but not watched it).
  • Team America: World Police (2004). I fancy myself a lover of comedies, and this is apparently one of those funny movies.
  • Groundhog Day (1993). The fact that I haven't seen this is especially disconcerting given that I have several friends from Woodstock, Illinois, where it was filmed.

No comments: