Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Tuesday Top Ten: Favorite Rolling Stones Songs

This is one day late, due to extenuating circumstances.

The Rolling Stones have been around for somewhere close to seven hundred years, during which they have put out approximately 346 albums, most of which include some pretty damn good music. I think they're hear to stay, and here are my ten (or twelve) favorite Stones songs:

10 (tie). "19th Nervous Breakdown" (single, 1966), "Paint It, Black" (Aftermath, 1966) and "Let It Loose" (Exile on Main St., 1972). I couldn't choose a favorite among these three songs, so I chose all of them. Deal with it. "19th Nervous Breakdown" is a great song about some uppity bi-atch whose dad perfected ways of making ceiling wax, which is a product that I didn't even know existed. "Paint It, Black" has a sitar and shit, and is one of my favorite songs to run to, except that I don't even run. "Let It Loose" is my favorite song off of what may be the Stones' best all-around album.
9. "Dead Flowers" (Sticky Fingers, 1971). Probably the best song about doing heroin in a basement with some chick as a way to get back at your girlfriend while she's at the Kentucky Derby.
8. "The Last Time" (Out of Our Heads, 1965). This is the first Stones song written by Jagger & Richards to hit #1, but it wouldn't be the . . . last . . . time. Ah-thank you!7. "Get Off of My Cloud" (December's Children (And Everybody's), 1965). One of the great drum intros of all time, and a nice message as well.
6. "Little T&A" (Tattoo You, 1981). Sung by Keith Richards, I think the following line -- describing the woman who is the subject of the song -- sums it up: "My tits and ass with soul, baby."
5. "Some Girls" (Some Girls, 1978). A raunchy, bluesy ditty about the ins and outs of courting various types of women.
4. "Salt of the Earth" (Beggars Banquest, 1968). A great song about drinking to the drinkers and the "uncounted heads," with the first verse sung by Keith. (The version on Mixwit is not the original version.)
3. "Moonlight Mile" (Sticky Fingers, 1971). A nice mellow song.
2. "Midnight Rambler" (Let It Bleed, 1969). It should come as no surprise to you that I enjoy a driving blues song with a badass harmonica allegedly based on quotes from the Boston Strangler's confession.
1. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" (Sticky Fingers, 1971). Best opening riff in rock and roll history? I'd say so. One more than one occasion I've found myself listening to the first 22 seconds of the song over and over again for days on end while smoking meth and watching Leonard Part 6 with the sound off.



MixwitMixwit make a mixtapeMixwit mixtapes

No comments: