Thursday, February 26, 2009

New Book - I Hate New Music: The Classic Rock Manifesto by Dave Thompson

Well, I finally finished reading Oh the Glory of It All by Sean Wilsey, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book is a memoir of his life as the child of two San Francisco socialites, who divorce when he is young, with his dad marrying his mom's former best friend, who turns out to be a evil, maniacal devil woman (at least towards Sean). He chronicles his exploits in dealing with his parents (both eccentric in their own way and neither of whom could be considered models of parenting), being a teenage hooligan, getting kicked out of and/or escaping from various high schools and boarding schools, and eventually meeting his wife and writing his book. There were several times when I was reading it when I thought, "Holy shit, how is going to get out of this one?" I would definitely recommend it.

My new book is I Hate New Music: The Classic Rock Manifesto by Dave Thompson. I bought this at Borders a month ago, based solely on the title. To make things clear, I don't hate new music. I hate shitty music, whether it's new or old. Conversely, I like music that appeals to me, whether it's new or old. I just started this book this morning. It'll be interesting to see whether the author just comes across as a standard, narrow-minded old dude who isn't willing to listen to anything after Zeppelin, or if he can actually provide some insightful analysis.

Books read in 2009:

No comments: