Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tuesday Top Ten: Artists or Bands to Emerge in the 2000s

If you managed to make it through my Top 100 Albums of the 2000s, then you can probably guess the bands and artists from this decade that I happen to like the most. I'm using the term "emerge" for this list because some of the bands may have started in the '90s or even released their debut album in the '90s (such as The White Stripes), but nonetheless, all of the bands on the list did not become part of the public consciousness (to relative degrees, obviously) until the 2000s. So, with that, here are my ten favorite bands or artists who emerged in the 2000s:

Honorable Mention: 50 Cent, The Answer, Art Brut, Gnarls Barkley, Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Wolfmother

10. The Strokes
The Strokes are an odd lot. I love all three of their albums, but I feel like they could have done more this decade. They burst on the scene in 2001 with stripped-down, punky, garage rock, and they were immediately haled as rock saviors. However, just about every guy in the band seems to have a side project or a solo album, which probably explains why they didn't make more than three albums as The Strokes. Anyway, they kick ass, but I want more.

9. Louis XIV
Until 2004, I didn't realize how much the world needed raunchy, punk-infused glam rock. It does. And Louis XIV delivers it.

8. Township
I've written rather extensively about Township. The band plays good, old-fashioned rock and roll, inspired by the glory days of '70s rock, carrying the torch lit by lead singer Marc Pinansky's former band, Runner & The Thermodynamics. Their albums are on both Amazon and iTunes. If you like rock and roll, check them out.

7. The Darkness
For a brief moment in time, The Darkness looked like they were going to bring back what had been missing from rock for far too long: unabashed, ballsy cock rock that doesn't try to hide what it is. They might be higher on the list had they released more albums. Unfortunately, lead singer and guitarist Justin Hawkins quit the band in 2006 after realizing that, as long as he was a rock star, he would be indulging in the rock star lifestyle. It's too bad. Their debut album, Permission to Land, effectively kicked you in the teeth sonically, and their second (and final) album, One Way Ticket to Hell . . . And Back, was pretty damn good too. Certainly, Justin Hawkins has the best falsetto of the decade.

6. The Fratellis
With a Goonies-inspired band name and Ramones-inspired stage names, it's hard to go wrong. The Fratellis have only released two albums, but both are phenomenal, particularly their debut album, Costello Music. That might be one of the catchiest albums I've ever heard. "Chelsea Dagger" is one of those songs that you hear for the first time and you immediately want to listen to it again and again. Thankfully, now you can, as the song has become a sports arena anthem around the world, which makes sense, since it's about a burlesque dancer. Their follow-up album, Here We Stand, is also very good, although not as fast-paced as Costello Music and, therefore, not as fulfilling. Nonetheless, I'm expecting big things from The Fratellis in the future.

5. Arctic Monkeys
Arctic Monkeys were hyped, certainly by the British music press, before they had even released an album. They lived up to the hype and more. Their debut album, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, became the UK's fastest-selling debut album ever, and the US's second-fastest-selling indie album ever. It was filled with post-punk, rip-roarin' first-person narratives of young love, lust, boozing, and trouble-making. Their follow-up, Favourite Worst Nightmare, isn't as in-your-face as the first album, but almost as good. Their third album, Humbug, was much more mellow and, therefore, not as fulfilling. Nonetheless, I'm expecting big things from Arctic Monkeys in the future.

4. Kings of Leon
I'm sure that I would have called you crazy if you told me ten years ago that one of the biggest and best rock bands of the decade would be comprised of three sons of a travelling Southern evangelical minister and their cousin. They came out guns-a-blazin' in 2004 With their first three albums, I thought Kings of Leon made big steps forward. Each was very different from the others, but each were great in their own way. I thought they kind of took a step sideways with their latest album, 2008's Only By The Night, which, of course, is their best-selling album yet. I knew Kings of Leon had finally made it big when I was in a Subway and a fortysomething African-American woman was singing "Use Somebody" to her toddler. That's a long way from when I saw them open for U2 at the United Center in 2005, and I was one of possibly ten people in the arena who knew any of their songs.

3. The Black Keys
At some point around 2004 or 2005, my buddy Greg sent me a couple Black Keys CDs, and I was immediately hooked. It's stripped-down, blues-based, fuzzy garage rock. And, like The White Stripes, the group is only two people, which is pretty amazing. Dan Auerbach, the lead singer and guitarist, looks like an urban yeti and sounds like a old bluesman. Patrick Carney, the drummer, hits the drums harder than anyone I've ever seen. What I also love about The Black Keys is that they aren't afraid to go experiment. Their last album, Attack & Release, was produced by Danger Mouse and stepped outside just a guitar and drums. The result was a really good album that both stayed true to their sound and broadened it. And, of course, they recently released Blakroc, a collaboration with various hip hop artists, which has gotten rave reviews.

2. The Hold Steady
As with many bands, I stumbled across The Hold Steady while reading Rolling Stone, which was reviewing the band's sophomore album, 2004's Separation Sunday. I got the album, and I liked it. Lead singer and lyricist Craig Finn is one of the best storytelling lyricists ever. In my opinion, he is up there with Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and Phil Lynott. The band's songs are intricate and interesting stories, set against booze-soaked barroom rock and roll. Every album is a new world and, more importantly, every album has been a step forward.

1. The White Stripes
At some point in 2002, I declared The White Stripes to be the best rock band in the world. My roommates at the time scoffed, offering up The Strokes. I was right then, and I'm right now. If you don't own every White Stripes album, then you are doing yourself a disservice. Over the last decade, no band has consistently put out rock and roll as good as The White Stripes. In my opinion, Jack White is the best songwriter around. His ability to write good songs in just about any genre cannot be overlooked. I'm not sure there's anyone else who manages to channel Son House, Elmore James, Jimmy Page, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Joe Strummer, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Booker T. & The MGs, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, and Keith Richards all at once. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here is a non-exhaustive list of the different types of songs White has written: straight punk ("Fell in Love with a Girl," "Let's Build a Home"); bluegrass ("Little Ghost"); blues ("Little Bird," "Ball and Biscuit," "Catch Hell Blues"); ball-busting rock ("Icky Thump," "Black Math"); Beatles-esque pop ("You're Pretty Good Looking (For a Girl)," "Hotel Yorba"); soul pop ("My Doorbell"); country rock ("Effect & Cause"); arena anthems ("Seven Nation Army"); heartfelt ballads ("I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart," "I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)"); acoustic songs ("We're Going to Be Friends," "As Ugly As I Seem"); garage rock ("Hello Operator"); glammy fuzz rock ("Blue Orchid"); tongue-in-cheek songs ("It's True That We Love One Another," "It's My Fault for Being Famous"); and, of course, songs based on Orson Wells dialogue ("The Union Forever"). And let's not forget about Jack's diminutive ex-wife behind the drums. Meg bashes away and, like Ringo, her contribution to the band is probably overshadowed. Regardless, the fact that two people can generate such a huge sound (and, more importantly, a great sound) speaks volumes (pun intended, motherfuckers) about their talent.

Next week: Top Ten Songs of the 2000s

No comments: