Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Tuesday Top Ten: Favorite Concerts of 2009

I love live music. Rather than elaborate on that, here are my top ten concerts of the year. All of them are in Chicago.

10. Township (Reggie's Music Joint, November 7)
This would likely be higher up on the list, but Township was on the bill with several other bands, so they didn't get to play for very long. Their set was excellent, however, and I'm sure they grabbed some knew fans. I'm looking forward to their return to Chicago.

9. Razorlight (Double Door, March 14)
Although my memory of the event is somewhat hazy, I do remember that Razorlight was awesome, even if they only played for 45 f'n minutes.

8. Arctic Monkeys with Screaming Females (Riviera, December 6)
This past Sunday, for some reason Jessie let me go to a concert. I have wanted to see the Arctic Monkeys for several years, but for one reason or another have not been able to do so. They put on a really good show. The crowd was as energized as I've seen at The Riv. And at some point before the show, someone puked in two spots on the main floor, so, for the 45 minutes it took before that got cleaned up, it was a joy to watch people walk through it unknowingly and then get mocked mercilessly, like a fat-faced child of divorce in a suburban elementary school.

7. Anvil (Metro, April 22)
If there was a Comeback Band of the Year Award, I'd venture to say that Anvil would win it hands down. This particular show was a combined viewing of their documentary and a concert afterwards, and they put on a great show. Plus, as an added bonus, I got to meet the band beforehand at the hot dog place across the street where we all happened to be eating.

6. The Hold Steady (Taste of Randolph, June 21)
I love The Hold Steady, and they always put on a good show. If you've never seen them, I strongly encourage you to do so. Granted, I prefer them indoors rather than outdoors, but that's just my opinion, man. I'm sure as hell not going to pass up an opportunity to see them for $5 (or whatever the admission to the street fest was).

5. KISS with Buckcherry (United Center, November 6)
KISS is another band I've wanted to see for a long time (approximately 28 years – ever since I stopped being terrified by them as a toddler). You expect KISS to put on a great show, and they deliver. My only knock on the show is that Tommy Thayer was not Ace Frehley.

4. Art Brut with Unicycle Loves You (Schuba's, June 10)
I had never been to Schuba's before, and this was a great introduction. Art Brut took up residency there for a week in June. I've been a fan ever since they opened up for The Hold Steady a few years ago at The Metro. Art Brut put on a great show. They're energetic and funny, and lead singer Eddie Argos isn't afraid to walk through the crowd during songs or stand behind me and drink a cup of coffee or tea while watching the opening band. Speaking of which, I really liked Unicycle Loves You as well.

3. Def Leppard, Poison, and Cheap Trick (First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre, July 17)
I love hair bands, and I love Cheap Trick. All three bands played great shows. No one was going through the motions. I've seen Def Leppard six or seven times now, and they bring their A game every time.

2. The Answer (Beat Kitchen, August 15)
Seeing a band in a small venue when that shouldn't be playing in a small venue is always great. The Answer blew the doors off of the Beat Kitchen (not literally, Kevin). It was loud, it was raw, and it was awesome. Plus, as with Township and Anvil, I got to meet band members.

1. Metallica (Allstate Arena, January 26)
I had never seen Metallica before, and they definitely did not disappoint, playing a solid variety from throughout their career (and mercifully skipping over stuff between the Black album and Death Magnetic). Plus, the actual stage show was great too. In addition to an "in the round" stage and pyrotechnics, they had several giant coffins that housed lasers. Enough said.

No comments: