Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Tuesday Top Ten: Favorite Albums of 2009

In the remaining Tuesdays, I will be going bat shit nuts and listing the top ten albums and songs of 2009, then the top ten EPs, albums, and songs of this decade. It's a tall task, but one for which I have been preparing for approximately ten years. I know what you're thinking: "GMYH, you're too ambitious." I know. "And wait, how have you been preparing for this for ten years when you've only had a blog for a little more than four years?" Piss off, man. I have ESP.

I was going to do a top ten albums of 2009, but I realized I only bought 13 albums that were released this year, so, out of fairness, I'm just going to rank all of them. And, unlike last year, I though this year was relatively weak as far as new albums.

And before you freak out about some album that you think is awesome that I've left off the list, bear in mind that I am only ranking the albums that I own. Thus, while your choice may be totally sweet, I don't have the authority to put it on the list.

Also, if I happen to get another 2009 album or two in the next couple weeks, I vow to review it on the GMYH scale, such that you can easily assess it in relation to the albums reviewed in this here post.

As a reminder, here is the GMYH CD Review Scale:
-6 Handrews - Buy it now. NOW!!
-5 Handrews - Excellent album that you should seriously consider purchasing in the near future
-4 Handrews - Very good album that you should at least check out on iTunes
-3 Handrews - If you want it, download it illegally
-2 Handrews - Somewhere between Britney Spears and William Hung
-1 Handrew - Ashlee Simpson
-0 Handrews – PopoZao

Anyway, here are the albums:

13. Arctic Monkeys – Humbug. 3.5 Handrews
Given how great their first two albums were, Humbug was a bit of a disappointment. The band seemed to mellow too much on this album, and there is no stand-out track like "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor" from the first album or "Fluorescent Adolescent" from the second. It sounds like the band too more cues from lead singer Alex Turner's less energetic side project The Last Shadow Puppets (whose 2008 album The Age of The Understatement is excellent, by the way). Don't get me wrong, I am still overly excited to see them play at The Riv Sunday night (assuming my wife is not birthing a child at or around that time). Top Tracks: "Potion Approaching," "Pretty Visitors"

11 (tie). The Dead Weather – Horehound. 4 Handrews
Just about everything Jack White touches turns to gold, in my opinion. That is, until The Dead Weather, his latest side project, in which he plays drums and occasionally sings, along with lead singer Alison Mosshart (of The Kills), guitarist Dean Fertita (of Queens of the Stone Age), and bassist Jack Lawrence (of The Greenhornes and The Raconteurs). It's not a bad album; it's just not as good as any White Stripes or Raconteurs album. Top tracks: "Treat Me Like Your Mother," "New Pony"

11 (tie). Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures. 4 Handrews
This is another supergroup, featuring bassist John Paul Jones of Led fucking Zeppelin and not yet beginning to fight fame, drummer Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters and Nirvana fame, and Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age fame. (What is it with Queens of the Stone Age members in supergroups?) Anyway, I bought this album without hearing any song on it. That may have been a slight mistake. I like the album, but I was expecting more. I find many of the songs to be too drowsy. I guess I was hoping for a more rollicking album. Top tracks: "Mind Eraser, No Chaser," "New Fang"

6 (tie.) Angus Khan - Black Leather Soul. 4.5 Handrews
As the band's name implies, it is a combination of Angus Young and Genghis Khan – a formidable pairing of guitar prowess and ransacking ability. The music is fashioned in the band name's image. It's gritty, ballsy hard rock, harkening early AC/DC, and the lead singer even sounds eerily like Bon Scott. Top tracks: "On the Run," "Call Me Motherfucker"

6 (tie). Chickenfoot – Chickenfoot. 4.5 Handrews
What do you get when you combine former Van Halen members Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony with former Chili Peppers drummer (and Will Ferrell look-alike) Chad Smith and guitar wunderkind Joe Satriani? Well, you get a band with a weird name that plays good, straightforward rock. I'm not sure why this album has gotten a bad rap. I think it's pretty good. How could it not be with this line-up? Top tracks: "Soap on a Rope," "Oh Yeah"

6 (tie). Ben Harper & Relentless7 - White Lies for Dark Times. 4.5 Handrews
Ben Harper is one of those artists where every time I hear one of his songs, I ask myself why I don't own more of his music. The man is a Scorpio, after all. Anyway, his latest album is with a backing group called Relentless7, and their album, White Lies for Dark Times, is a good blues rock album. Top tracks: "Number With No Name," "Why Must You Always Dress in Black"

6 (tie). Japandroids - Post-Nothing. 4.5 Handrews
This is a weird garage rock-y, noisy album from two Canadian dudes. I'm not sure what prompted me to get it (it was more than likely a Rolling Stone review), but I'm glad I did. It's a little different than most of what I listen to. It's definitely filled with energy and fuzzed-out guitars, which are two things I enjoy when it comes to music. Top tracks: "Young Hearts Spark Fire," "I Quit Girls"

6 (tie). Razorlight - Slipway Fires. 4.5 Handrews
Razorlight burst onto the scene in 2004, and I love their debut album, Up All Night. Their second album, which was self-titled, and their third album, Slipway Fires, are both pretty good as well. Like their second album, Slipway Fires is a little less frantic than their debut album, but the songs are good and catchy (and many of them are still fast-paced). I don't know how else to describe them, other than good British pop rock. Also, they put on a really good live show, although I would recommend seeing them at any other time than 10 p.m. on St. Patrick's Day observed. Top tracks: "Hostage of Love," "You And The Rest"

3 (tie). Ace Frehley – Anomaly. 4.75 Handrews
Who knew the Space Man still had it in him? While his former KISS band mates are still selling out large arenas (and still kicking ass, mind you), Ace is quietly riding the club circuit supporting his latest solo effort – his first in 20 years. I bought this album after listening to a couple clips on Amazon and because I think Frehley's KISS solo album might be the best KISS album. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised by Anomaly. You may have heard his cover of the Sweet's "Fox On the Run," which is a perfect cover and has been getting some airplay on hard rock stations. Overall, I think this is a really good album, and probably better than anything KISS has released recently. And, as a bonus, the CD cover folds into a pyramid. Top tracks: "Outer Space," "Foxy & Free"

3 (tie). Weezer – Raditude. 4.75 Handrews
That Rivers Cuomo can sure write himself a pop song, and he has proven that throughout Weezer's history. Raditude is no exception, and he even has help on several songs, from the likes of hip hop producer and writer Jermaine Dupri (Jessie!), rock chameleon Butch Walker (who also produced the album), pop songwriter Dr. Luke, and a couple guys from All-American Rejects. The result is a carefree and shallowly fun album. Top tracks: "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To," "The Girl Got Hot"

3 (tie). Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg. 4.75 Handrews
After a three-year hiatus and nearly an entire line-up change (aside from lead singer and guitarist Andrew Stockdale), Australian hard rockers Wolfmother finally released a second album, Cosmic Egg, which harkens Zeppelin, Free, and Black Sabbath nearly as much as the first album. While, in my opinion, it's not as good as their first album, this is still a very solid hard rock album. Top tracks: "New Moon Rising," "White Feather"

2. The Answer - Everyday Demons. 5 Handrews
Perhaps 2009 is the year of the hard rock revival. If it is, then Northern Ireland's The Answer undoubtedly deserves a seat at the head of the table. Everyday Demons is the band's first full-length U.S. release, and it generally kicks ass. As lead singer Cormac Neeson channels Robert Plant, the rest of the band whips itself into a controlled frenzy. The songs are fist-pumping rockers that make you wish it was 1974. And the band is awesome live as well. Top tracks: "Demon Eyes," "On and On"

1. The Hold Steady – A Positive Rage. 5.5 Handrews
This is a live album (with a bonus DVD), made during a Hold Steady show at The Metro here in Chicago on October 31, 2007 – a night after Jessie and I saw them. The album has a nice mix of songs from the groups four studio albums (even though Stay Positive had not yet been released), but better yet, the album is a great representation of the essence of this band. They are, at heart, a live band, and their shows are always energetic. This band loves playing live. Just as you might recommend Alive or Live and Dangerous to someone you're introducing to KISS or Thin Lizzy, respectively, I think A Positive Rage is the same type of album for people who are looking to get into The Hold Steady. Top tracks: "Ask Her For Adderall," "Killer Parties"

No comments: