Saturday, April 24, 2010

I'm Just Mad About Saffold

Yes, I just made a Donovan-related pun.

Just because I hate the new NFL draft format doesn't mean I haven't been paying attention. I was somewhat upset that IU offensive tackle Rodger Saffold fell to the first pick of the second round (pick #33), but that's still pretty solid, seeing as though it's the highest drafted IU player since defensive end Nathan Davis was taken 32nd in the 1997 draft.

For those of you keeping track (which I'm pretty sure is just me), Saffold's selection at #33 meant that IU had a player drafted before Purdue, Notre Dame, Illinois, and Ohio State -- which is awesome because those are my four most hated college football programs -- as well as before USC, LSU, Georgia, and Miami (both Florida and Ohio). IU hasn't had a player drafted before all eight of those schools since 1966 when IU defensive end Randy Beisler was taken 4th overall. Needless to say, I haven't been this pleased about an IU draft pick since IU QB Gibran Hamdan was drafted in the seventh round in 2003 ahead of Heisman winning QB Ken Dorsey.

I'm also baffled that the Broncos wasted their first-round pick on someone who projects as a back-up fullback in the NFL. Look, I get that Tebow is a good guy with a great work ethic, but he seems like a terrible first-round pick. Then again, the Broncos' starting QB has a neck beard.

I also like the Bears' sixth-round pick, QB Dan LeFevour from Central Michigan. He's like Tebow, but with more NFL-ready talent. I think he could be a solid QB a few years down the road.

That's all I got right now. Here's to hoping Jammie Kirlew, Greg Middleton, and Nick Polk end up getting drafted or, if not, quickly picked up as free agents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ray Fisher got picked in the 7th, so did Kirlew. Contrast that with Michigan DB Donovan Warren who went unchosen.

What's equally interesting is that Saffold's selection meant that IU had a player picked before every Big Ten school except for Michigan (13th), Iowa (23rd) and Penn State (28th).

Also, only three Big Ten schools had more players picked than IU:

1) Iowa: 6
2) Penn State: 6
3) Ohio State: 4

4 Big Ten teams had three players drafted: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Northwestern.

The question, however, is whether that trend will continue after Hoeppner's recruits exit IU's program.