Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday Top Ten: Defunct or Dead Bands or Artists I'd Most Want to See In Concert

With the summer concert season just around the corner, and my Iron Maiden tickets purchased, I got to thinking: "GMYH, you sly and regal mothertrucker, what bands or artists that are no longer around would you most like to see in concert?" "Good one. That's tough." "I know." "Oooh, that would make a good Tuesday Top Ten." "Good call." "I love you." "I love you more."

I love live music, and I've made it a point over the last fifteen years or so to see whatever bands I can because I know that nothing lasts forever, especially in the music world. I've been lucky enough to see Metallica, Van Halen (with Diamond Dave on vocals and Wolfgang Van Halen on bass), Simon & Garfunkel (with a special guest appearance by The Everly Brothers), Aerosmith, Santana, The Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, Black Crowes and Jimmy Page, The Scorpions, Ratt, Def Leppard, Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Boston, Motley Crue, Cheap Trick, Poison, Paul McCartney, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tesla, Eric Clapton, George Thorogood & The Destroyers, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, and Jimmy Buffett, among others.

With many of the bands and musicians that I love getting up there in age, I may not have too many more opportunities. Hell, I was already too late with many of the aforementioned bands, who have either had to endure deaths or departures of band members. (Also, it would be nice if AC/DC and Bruce Springsteen didn't charge $75 for the "cheap seats.")

With Iron Maiden tickets in tow, I can cross another one off the list -- not that it's about having a list to cross off, but I just don't want to look back in 20 years and say, "Damn, I wish I would have seen Iron Maiden while they were still touring." For Christ's sake, I haven't even seen Eddie in person.

But it got me thinking about which bands I'd like to see live that I won't get a chance to see. For this, I am talking about a band (or a lineup in that band) that is definitely never going to play live again (due to death) or that will more than likely never going to play together again (due to break-ups).

I'm talking about a typical concert experience, here – not, for instance, a Zeppelin concert with just me and my closest friends at The Bluebird in Bloomington (although that would be awesome). For example, KISS (in its original form) is on the list, and my concert experience with them would be an arena show with pyrotechnics and 10,000+ rabid fans (and maybe festival seating – egad!).

You may be surprised that I don't have The Beatles on this list. Yes, they are my favorite band of all-time (and, by far, the greatest and most influential band in rock history), but I'm not sure I'd necessarily want to see them live over the bands on this list, mainly because they stopped playing live in 1966, I would likely be unable to hear them over the screaming girls, and I am not fond of the smell of teenage female urine.

Honorable mention: The Who (original lineup); James Brown; Queen

10. Van Halen (original lineup)
As I mentioned above, I've seen them with David Lee Roth on vocals and Wolfgang Van Halen on bass, but I want to see the original lineup. I know you're probably thinking that there is still a possibility that the original lineup will reunite at some point. But I want to see the original lineup playing at the Starwood in 1977.

9. Howlin' Wolf.
Howlin' Wolf was a giant man (he basically had the body of an offensive lineman) who had one of the most unique voices I've ever heard, and from what I understand, he put on a great show. Live blues is something I simply don't see enough of (which is pathetic, considering I live in one of the best cities to see live blues, and less than a half-mile from two of the better blues clubs in the city). Sitting in a smoky, South Side blues club in the '60s listening to Howlin' Wolf belt out "Wang Dang Doodle" or "Smokestack Lightning" would be pretty awesome.

8. The Grateful Dead
I wouldn't consider myself a Deadhead by any means, but I'm also not averse to the Dead's music and culture. Deadheads are certainly one of the more unique phenomena in rock history. I had a chance to see them at Soldier Field in either 1994 or 1995, but I passed. I regret that, since Jerry Garcia died soon thereafter (in fact, the Soldier Field show in 1995 was apparently his last show).

7. Thin Lizzy
Live and Dangerous is generally regarded as one of the better live albums of all-time, and with good reason. Unlike many live albums, which are essentially just greatest hits albums with some fan noise added in, Live and Dangerous features interaction with the crowd, extended versions of songs, and some songs that you won't find on a Thin Lizzy greatest hits album. They were not only a great rock band, but Phil Lynott knew how to play a crowd. Unfortunately, he also knew how to drink and drug himself to death.

6. Otis Redding
If you've footage of his performance at the Monterey Pop Festival, you know that Redding was a hell of a showman, in addition to being a hell of a singer and songwriter. Plus, he had the MGs backing him, so that's an added bonus.

5. Led Zeppelin
Zeppelin were the kings of rock in the '70s, and, unfortunately, with John Bonham's death in 1980, they were forever disbanded. In one sense, I'm glad they've never attempted to re-form the group with another drummer. On the other hand, I want see Led fucking Zeppelin in concert, even if Jason Bonham is sitting behind the drum kit.

4. KISS (original lineup)
I saw KISS last November, and don't get me wrong, it was awesome. KISS has always been known for their fantastic stage shows, and they do not disappoint. I have nothing against Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer, but Ace Frehley and Peter Criss are the originals (and I have kind of a thing for Ace). Seeing KISS in, say, 1976 or 1977 would just about be the ultimate concert experience, in my opinion.

3. Guns N' Roses (any lineup from May 1985 to 1993)
Yes, I know Axl continues use the GNR name, and that he has used a variety of line-ups (and put out the long-awaited Chinese Democracy) in the years since Slash and Duff left the band, but let's not kid ourselves. Without Axl, Slash, and Duff, it's not the real GNR (with all due respect to Steven Adler, Matt Sorum, Izzy, Dizzy, and Gilby, a combination of whom I also believe contributes to my definition of the "real GNR")).

2. The Doors
I've seen "The Doors of the 21st Century," which was comprised of Ray Manzarek, Robbie Krieger, former Cult singer Ian Astbury playing the part of Jim Morrison (and absolutely killing it – he was awesome), and former Police drummer Stewart Copeland playing the part of John Densmore. It was a phenomenal concert, and if you squinted, you might have actually thought Astbury was Jim Morrison. But he's not. I have several Doors live CDs, and I know what a powerful and hell-raising force Jim Morrison was on stage. I would have liked to have seen that. Thanks, God.

1. Jimi Hendrix
Whether it was with the Experience, Band of Gypsys, or solo, I can't think of someone I'd rather see live than Jimi Hendrix. Lord knows I have no musical talent, which is why virtuosos (and particularly, guitarists) fascinate me. I can stare, mesmerized, for hours at someone playing a wicked guitar. Hendrix did things with the guitar that no one had ever done before and that no one has done since.

How about you guys? Any band or artist that is no longer around that you'd want to see in concert?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about Miles Davis when he was playing with John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley and Bill Evans? Or Mozart?

Unknown said...

Steven Clark would like to tell you where to stick your list..