Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Tuesday Top Ten: Bands I'm Most Excited About Seeing at Lollapalooza

Lollapalooza is back for its sixth year at Grant Park in Chicago, August 6-8. Jester and I were some of the few lucky ones to grab the $60 souvenir tickets a few months back when they were on sale for somewhere between three and ten minutes. After missing last year (which was well worth it, given the hellacious time I had in Memphis), I am pumped to be retuning to Grant Park for three days of love, music, and sweating through my pants.

This year's line-up was announced this morning, and it includes the likes of Green Day, Soundgarden, The Strokes, and Lady Gaga.

Here are the ten acts I'm most excited to see (in alphabetical order):

10. Arcade Fire.
I only know a few of their songs, but I saw them a few years ago at Lolla, and they put on an awesome show. If I recall, at one point, someone put on a helmet that another band member then used as a drum. There also might have been a cello nearby.
9. The Black Keys.
They are becoming a Lolla staple, as I think this is their third or fourth appearance. I've seen them several times, and they always bring the thunder. Plus, they have a new album coming out this spring, so watch out.
8. Company of Thieves.
This is a Chicago trio that Jester happened upon last year. I only know one of their songs, but it's pretty good.
7. Cypress Hill.
I would rate their self-titled debut album and Black Sunday as two of my favorite hip hop albums.
6. Devo.
They're weird. Plus, Daughter's new trick is to pretend to crack a whip.
5. The F**k Buttons.
I have no idea what they sound like, but the name alone is intriguing enough.
4. Green Day.
Seems like I should see them before the end of the summer, seeing as though I've never seen them in concert.
3. Soundgarden.
I'm really hoping that creepy girl eating ice cream in the "Black Hole Sun" video will be there, as well as Spoonman. But seriously, this should be a pretty sweet show. Chris Cornell is an underrated singer who can belt it out with the best of 'em.
2. The Strokes.
I've been wanting to see them for the past nine years (Jesus, has it been that long since they put out their debut album?), so I'm excited to finally have the opportunity. Had they released more than three albums over the past ten years, they might have rivaled The White Stripes for the title of best rock band of the 2000s.
1. Wolfmother.
I saw them in 2006 at Lolla, after they put out their massive self-titled debut album that summoned early Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. The band all but broke up soon thereafter, leaving only singer Andrew Stockdale, who reformed the group and put out the band's second album, Cosmic Egg, last year. They still sound great, and you've probably heard "New Moon Rising" on SportsCenter or on lead-ins or lead-outs for commercial breaks during televised sporting events.

I'm sure I'll discover more bands as I check out the many acts I've never heard of, but this is definitely a good start. I'm excited, although I hope not to piss 60 ounces this time around.

No comments: