Monday, April 26, 2010

New Book: Open by Andre Agassi

I recently finished reading Dry by Augusten Burroughs, and it was a pretty interesting (and funny) book. It's a memoir about Burroughs's struggle with alcoholism, from his pre-rehab benders to rehab to AA and post-rehab treatment, and beyond. When reading Dry, I had two prevailing thoughts: (1) I am not an alcoholic; and (2) I should feel bad about drinking because I can do it in moderation and this guy can't. In all seriousness, it's the kind of book that makes you realize just how destructive alcohol and drugs can be, and how seemingly normal and put-together people may, in actuality, be raging alcoholics. For me, I'd like to think I could never get to that point because I realize the bitter paradigm about alcohol. Alcohol is a wonderful elixir, but if I want to continue to enjoy the many benefits of alcohol, I cannot abuse it because then it will be taken away from me (not to mention the disasterous physical consequences on my already fragile gut). Thus, I will not be the guy with hundreds of empty scotch bottles stockpiled in my apartment.

From alcohol abuse, I now move onto crystal meth. My next book is Open by Andre Agassi. He is my favorite tennis player, and I know he has had a pretty insane life, from an overbearing father to relationships with supermodels to fantastic mullets, so I expect this will be a pretty good read.

Books read in 2010:
Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman
Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Happy Hour is for Amateurs by The Philadelphia Lawyer
Dry by Augusten Burroughs

No comments: