Thursday, January 06, 2011

Anubis!

I've been known to have weird dreams, and I've come to accept that. So should you. Last night, I had a Beatles-related dream, in which I was implanted in a documentary about how The Beatles were asked to change some lyrics of "Revolution" for a live broadcast of the song. In the dream, George was the primary writer and singer of the song. He was pissed that they were asked to change the lyrics, and he refused to change anything, singing the song as originally written during the live broadcast -- much like The Doors did with the "girl, we couldn't get much higher" line during their performance of "Light My Fire" on the Ed Sullivan Show. In the documentary that I was somehow participating in, George then played a version of "Revolution" that The Beatles recorded as a joke with the suggested changed lyrics. The line the show wanted changed was the "say you'll change the Constitution" line, and for the life of me, I can't remember what the changed lyric was, but it got a lot of laughs from the documentary crew.

Anyway, from there, I was tele-transported into a documentary about John Lennon's murder. I was walking around the Dakota on the day and night he was shot, and it was really weird. There were some accounts in my dream documentary that do not coincide with reality, but that's pretty much a given, considering whose head this was all inside. What I found most strange about this whole thing was that the word "Anubis" kept popping up in the dream, enough so that when I woke up, all I could think of was the word "Anubis."

I am not familiar with the word "Anubis," and I couldn't remember if or when I have ever heard it, so I looked it up. Of course, Anubis is the jackal-headed Egyptian god of the afterlife and mummification. That didn't ring any bells, so did some more digging to realize where I had heard it: Nick, Jr. While watching Daughter's favorite show, Dino Dan -- which, by the way, is a Canadian show about a delusional boy who openly talks about constant hallucinations in which he sees dinosaurs, and yet no one seems concerned about his mental health -- I have seen commercials for a new Nickelodeon show called House of Anubis, in which some British teenagers at boarding school live in a haunted house. So there you go. I don't have to fear that it was some omen that I am going to be mummified. And now you've just wasted five minutes while I worked something out in my head.

No comments: