Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Origins of 26 Alcoholic Drink Names

No Tuesday Top Ten this week, as I prepare to celebrate America's 237th birthday, but I'm sure as shit not going to leave you empty-handed on this Tuesday.  I love a good cocktail, and I can tolerate a bad one.  The dude in the video below explains the origins of 26 of our most beloved alcoholic drinks, most of them cocktails.  Here is a list of the drinks discussed in the video, in case you want to jump ahead, although for the sake of learning, I suggest you watch the whole video.  The ones in bold are the ones I've had, with anecdotes following where deemed appropriate:
1.  Piña Colada
2.  Julep
3.  Sangria
4.  Wine
5.  Fuzzy Navel
6.  Black Russian
7.  White Russian.  Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women.
8.  Manhattan.  This is my go-to wedding reception cocktail, other than straight whiskey.  I tend to have fun at weddings.
9.  Martini
10. Alabama Slammer.  One of the few shots I did not regurgitate in the men's or women's room at Kilroy's Sports Bar on my 21st birthday.
11. Tom Collins.  A college favorite of my then-girlfriend, now wife, Jesterio the Magnificent.  Apparently, when she was a 21-year-old woman, she was also a 60-year-old man.  Perhaps that's what drew me to her.
12. Tom and Jerry.  People from Wisconsin have entire parties centered around this drink. Not that anyone from Wisconsin has ever needed to find an occasion to consume alcohol.
13. Irish Car Bomb.  I spent a month there one night.
14. Irish Coffee
15. Mojito
16. Mai Tai
17. Bellini
18. Daiquiri
19. Screwdriver.  Does anyone over 18 not named Mickey Mantle drink Screwdrivers?
20. Hurricane
21. Minty Grasshopper
22. Mimosa
23. Long Island Iced Tea
24. Bloody Mary.  Best one I ever had was the first one, at the Outlook Inn in Louisville.  Ever since then, I've been chasing the dragon.  I should also note that, the same night, I came across a dragon that is slightly faster than I am.  Now, it should make sense.
25. Zombie
26. Sidecar.  In the not-so-distant past, my wife and a friend ordered so many of these that they drank the bar out of cognac.  Perhaps that's what drew me to her.

I was disappointed that there is no discussion of a Harvey Wallbanger or a Sloppy Hooker, but it was nonetheless a worthwhile video.

No comments: