Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Retro Video of the Week: "Hotel Yorba" by The White Stripes

Following up on yesterday's Jack White love fest, it seemed like an appropriate time for a White Stripes video to make an appearance as a Retro Video of the Week.  Technically, since they released no videos before 2000 (which is my self-imposed ending date for Retro Video of the Week videos), this isn't "retro," but I like to break the rules.  That's what the chicks dig about be me.  That, and my Fiero.  Anyway, "Hotel Yorba" was the first single the White Stripes ever commercially released, and it was their first video as well.  The song, which is one of my favorites of theirs, was recorded in the Hotel Yorba in Detroit. (which is now government-subsidized housing).  If I remember correctly, according to legend, Jack and Meg checked into the hotel and had to hastily record the song before being kicked out for, well, making rock and roll music.  Apparently, the by-the-hour set must have complained.  The video is not shot inside the hotel (although there are some exterior shots of the hotel) because they were denied permission to film inside the hotel, but I think that's something I can live with. 

No comments: